Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-10-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Omaha Newbie Help

Ok so I've played quite a bit of limit holdem and have started playing Omaha Hi/Lo for a change of pace. However, I'm finding that there isn't nearly enough information out there on this game. I have ordered both How to Win at Omaha Hi/Lo by Cappelletti and Championship Omaha by McEvoy but they won't be for a week or so. I've played 2400 hands and have lost $230 so I'm sure I have some leaks in my game and would like to ask a few questions. I play full ring limit games on the Party network and Stars. Here is my PT stats.

2/4 - 735 hands - 12.79 VP$P - (-$209.13)
1/2 - 643 hands - 13.37 VP$P - (-47.25)
.5/1 - 1023 hands - 19.26 VP$P - +25.40

1. How much aggression? In limit my preflop aggression runs right around 6%. I have no aggression in Omaha. My PF aggression is .17% and my overall agression is .21%. My thinking is maybe I'm letting in too many people preflop and also letting them hang around after the flop to eventually split a pot with me. What hands do you raise with preflop? What made hands and draws to you raise with on the flop and later streets?

2. Starting Hands. I basically use the starting hands from this site: http://www.o8poker.com/ It seems very tight especially looking at my Voluntary put $ in before the flop percentage. I would figure that in Omaha 8 this percentage would be higher than in limit. Is that so?

3. Calling down too much? I see that in my PT stats that I Won$ at SD only 60.36% overall. Are you only calling down hands that you have the nuts on at the river?

I know my PT stats isn't very many hands but I would like to get some input on ways to improve my game. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Omaha Newbie Help

I'll try to answer a few. I'm also a newbie and had you same questions.

Preflop raising - Your OK - limping is not a bad thing. You want a lot of people in the pot and your goal is to make the pot big - raising might fold people so limping is not a bad thing. I don't raise nearly as much as in Hold'm.

VPIP for me is about the same as in Limit 18%

3. - yes . . . sort of. This one takes experience.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG
Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 AM

pre-flop raising has been discussed here quite a bit and it is one of the most troubling aspects of switching from limit holdem to limit o8. I used to not raise much at all in limit omaha8~3%. In the last month, I've moved it up to 6% and my winrate has sky-rocketed. It's nearly double in the last 20k hands. Some of this is running hot, but the big difference is preflop raising.

Raise with your quality hands. On party, the fish will still call, building a bigger pot for you, and the more talented will get out of the way unless they really have something. It's lead to many more scoops as mediocre highs with my nut lows are holding up much, much more often. I'm raising all AA2, AA3, A23, A2xy suited to the ace, A3xy double-suited, A24x, A25x, and a few more. It's paying off big.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:14 AM

I'll agree - as I have gottin more used to the game I have been slowley raising my PFR. Not a ton yet but I'm more comfortable.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:18 AM

A general rule is the more cards you get to see in a hand, the stronger the winning hands will be and the tighter you should play.

So you should be playing fewer hands preflop in Omaha/8 than in Hold'em.

In loose games with a lot of people seeing the river you would want the nut low or a very strong high. If the flop has two of a suit and the nut high on the end is a flush in that suit, you want the nut flush. If the flush only had one card on the flop and both the turn and the river brought cards to make a flush (often called runner runner), than less than the nut flush may be good. If the board is paired you want either quads or the highest possible full house. If a straight is the best possible hand you want to have the highest straight possible.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 PM

First off, that avatar is so disturbing that it's hard for me to read your post. Oy!

The books you've ordered are going to make many of us ask where you are playing so that we can get our share. I don't think they will help your play.

Consider ordering Ray Zee's book, instead.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't understand the PTO lingo. Maybe someone else can help you out there.

Be very tight before the flop in these fishy games. Play for the nuts only, after the flop. That is the best two-sentence advice I can give you.

Yes, calling down on the river at this stage, you should be winning a portion of the pot almost every time. Obviously there are some hands that dictate you MUST call one bet on the river. That happens when you have a nut hand which is slightly killed on the river, but you suspect may still be good for a portion of the pot, and you only need call one more bet. It happens in low limit O8, and you simply must call it down if you have the odds.

Later, after playing about a billion hands, you will learn when to call down a non-nut hand on the river. It just takes knowing when to do it, according to the way the hand was played from the beginning, who is in the pot with you, and the texture of your hand versus the overall board. This comes with experience and there is no way for me to tell you when to do it, and when to auto-muck.

Luckily you don't need years and years of experience to know this. O8 is unlike HE and Stud in that respect.

Good luck to you, and get Ray Zee's book if you truly want to play seriously, and correctly from the get-go.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. Last night I did raise more prelop with my better hands and it seemed to help but only time will tell. Also I got to looking and I found that I already had Zee's book. I thought it was just a book on 7 card split but it has both in it so I started reading it as well. I'm surprised that the other two books aren't that good. I had read in the book forum and on pocketfives that that was the 2 you wanted to read for O8.

Anyways, thanks for the help and I will try and post some trouble hands for me as I gain some play experience.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be very tight before the flop in these fishy games. Play for the nuts only, after the flop. That is the best two-sentence advice I can give you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think these sentences are consistent. While I agree that playing for the nuts against fish is the ideal strategy, I think you loosen up against fish pre-flop and play hands with nut draws that you might not play against credible players. Hands such as A-4-9-J and A-5-9-J may become playable where the ace is suited, for example, provided you are in somewhat late position. If you play too tight, by the time you get into a hand the fishes' [is that English?] money will have been taken by others.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play too tight, by the time you get into a hand the fishes' [is that English?] money will have been taken by others.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct usage:

fisheses's
Old 10-11-2005, 05:43 PM

You got relatives or is this an invasion??????? link