Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 09-10-2005, 05:54 PM

Default can an online site demand photocopy of my cc?

got this rather strange email from my regular site..

"We are writing to inform you that according to your country's legislation, we cannot credit winnings back onto your credit card and therefore, we recommend you set up a Neteller account.
The credit card option has been disactivated from your account and for security reasons we kindly ask you to send us the photocopy of the credit card and an id document to the fax:

Your future withdrawals to Neteller will not be processed without us having received this necessary documentation. "

So if i understamd this correct, they say they I cannot use credit back to CC but have to use netteller instead. Fine.

But since i can't use credit card anymore, they want a photocopy and personal ID of it to go with it or else they aint giving me my money???????

Does this sound right?

Sounds a bit unethical to me, unless there is some valid security reason behind this
Old 09-10-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: can an online site demand photocopy of my cc?

Its standard thing they do. Usually they ask for a copy of your Drivers liscense, copy of your credit card statement and a photocopy of the front and back of your card. Just send it to them. I have done it over 50 times to diff online sites
Old 09-10-2005, 06:07 PM

IS there any business in the world other than online gambling that you would do this, or that a business would ask this of you.

There is a reason the back of your credit card is there, for your protection and not to just give away to anyone who asks for it.

Does your cc company reccomend you do this?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IS there any business in the world other than online gambling that you would do this, or that a business would ask this of you.

There is a reason the back of your credit card is there, for your protection and not to just give away to anyone who asks for it.

Does your cc company reccomend you do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use photoshop to remove the first 9 figures and the number on the back of the card. They basically just want to see your name on the card.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:07 PM

The amount of fraudulent credit card activity that online poker rooms deal with is huge.

A review of Party's financial statements show that fraudulent credit crad activity is their 3rd largest expense, behind marketing and affiliate payments.

This is more than a $100 million problem for online poker rooms!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Use photoshop to remove the first 9 figures and the number on the back of the card. They basically just want to see your name on the card.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you use Photoshop to redact the card image, couldn't you just use Photoshop to create the whole image in the first place? Point being if they're looking for proof the card is real, it seems stupid to accept a Photoshop'd image. Not that I regularly expect rocket scientist thinking from the poker sites...
Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you use Photoshop to redact the card image, couldn't you just use Photoshop to create the whole image in the first place? Point being if they're looking for proof the card is real, it seems stupid to accept a Photoshop'd image. Not that I regularly expect rocket scientist thinking from the poker sites...

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a slight difference between using the eraser tool and removing sensitive information and creating a fake visa card in Photoshop.

I wouldn't dream of sending anyone a scan of my visa with the numbers on the back showing.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:52 AM

I think just for the hell of it I would call there
support and verify that it was really them that
sent the request. And if by chance you are using a wireless
system I would make double sure that this is a legit request.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:57 AM

Default They can demand a photocopy of your undershorts

They have your money. They will demand whatever they please.

All online funds are 100% at risk at all times. Many fail to remember this. Life would be easier if that weren't true but wishing won't make it so.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:03 AM

Heh, this sounds like Eurobet.

When they asked me for a copy of my credit card, the card had already expired and I had cut it up and thrown it away. They tried to tell me that, in that case, I would never be able to cash out of their site. Riiiight.

Eventually I persuaded them that I was not being unreasonable. They cancelled the credit card feature of my account (big deal, when the card had already expired) and started processing cashouts.

In other news, when I cashed out $1000 they only gave me $300 (but debited my account $1000 of course) so I still think they're hopeless, but I imagine it will be resolved by Christmas.

Guy.