Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Default When do you break the first rule of the Fight Club?

Aka, what poker players, if any, do you tell about 2+2?

Discuss.

The reason I ask is that I was going to tell a player about it last night from a game I was playing in. I was going to because he was a nice guy and serious player and shared some insights he had on the accouning profession, which I am entering and he is experienced. He was a decent probably winning player and might have already known about it.

Of course I was going to do so away from the table, and caution him about telling others, but I figured I wasn't really losing anything by telling him and it probably could help him a great deal.

Results in black below:

He got up to play in a different game, and left before I got a chance to talk to him away from the table. He is a regular from what I gathered and I will probably tell him next time I see him, unless you convince me not to break the first rule.

-Craig
Old 05-19-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: When do you break the first rule of the Fight Club?

This forum isnt a secret. Any search in google about poker usually lists 2+2 on the first page. I have told a few friends about 2+2 and most of the time they have either heard of it or they come check it out, maybe even register, but never really come back. I say go for it, but Im probably an unwelcomed Fight Club member anyways.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:14 PM

Yeah, I've told friends about it too.

I don't think that 2+2ers don't welcome new members, I've just always gotten the impression that it's not good to tell more people than needbe.

-Craig
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM

i don't see a problem with it. my friends aren't too interested in not being fish - which is fine with me when we play our home games. but when one of them asks about how to get better, i tell them in a heartbeat. and in your case, the guy seems genuine, and it's not as if you're converting a fish. basically, i only have a problem with it when some table coach starts ranting at the fish after he takes a bad beat.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:20 PM

I haven't even told my friends...for two reasons:

1. I sometimes play a game with them, and it's always good for some easy beer money. I don't want that to change.

2. Even if I told them about 2+2 I'd probably be waisting my breath. They'd probably never even check it out.

The way I see it is anyone who seriously wants to learn the game will find the 2+2 books and website on their own.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Anyone who has the dedication to study poker and really make the most out of this site would have been able to find it on his/her own. All it takes is a tiny bit of curiousity to find it.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't even told my friends...for two reasons:

1. I sometimes play a game with them, and it's always good for some easy beer money. I don't want that to change.

2. Even if I told them about 2+2 I'd probably be waisting my breath. They'd probably never even check it out.

The way I see it is anyone who seriously wants to learn the game will find the 2+2 books and website on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I come at it from the opposite side.

I tell anyone in my uni poker society and any on the UK student poker site that ask, that 2+2 is where you will learn a lot about poker. I like to spread the word; though not at the poker table - i view it as by asking the question, they initiate the 'quest', i merely show them the path to follow.

Im also a strong player with those that i play with, and whilst i tell them to come here, i know that ill only reach a small few. And those would have found this site eventually anyway.

Furthermore, if they find the site, get better then consistantly beat me, this is merely encouragement for me to improve my own game (something even i need now and again).

I see no reason to not tell people if it appears that they want to know. I do however agree with most that forcing it down their throats on a poker table, either online or not, is not the way forward.

Phill
Old 05-19-2005, 04:42 PM

This is the only place I can see familiar names that have not burned out or crashed and burned on poker.

I think the turn over rate for online players is higher than 80 year old hookers with malignant brain tumors hobbling on artificial hips.

In other words, most people you tell about this place won't be here in three months anyways, so it matters little.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:47 PM

I have a buddy that suggested I take a look at the books here (SSHE), and I happened to find the forums. The book and the forums have easily been the most informative things that I could have ever found in poker life, and I wouldnt have any problem suggesting this site to others (though I agree I wouldnt be mass posting it at a table). In order for the site to benefit you, you still have to put in the work reading and studying, so I wouldnt feel bad sending someone over.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the only place I can see familiar names that have not burned out or crashed and burned on poker.

I think the turn over rate for online players is higher than 80 year old hookers with malignant brain tumors hobbling on artificial hips.

In other words, most people you tell about this place won't be here in three months anyways, so it matters little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point, we tend to get isolated in our
"little 2+2 world". Perspective is always useful.