Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 05:30 PM

Default What\'s the min. RAM needed for your computer for most poker sites?

Can anyone tell me the minimum RAM needed for your computer to work well on most online poker sites??? I know where I can get a really good deal on a laptop with 64mb of RAM, upgradable to 512mb. Would it work ok with just 64mb???

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: What\'s the min. RAM needed for your computer for most poker sites?

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone tell me the minimum RAM needed for your computer to work well on most online poker sites??? I know where I can get a really good deal on a laptop with 64mb of RAM, upgradable to 512mb. Would it work ok with just 64mb???

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. I would suggest 256 as an absolute minimum (especially if you are multi-tabling and/or using pokertracker and playerview).
Old 05-17-2005, 07:13 PM

Agreed. If you want to play the Cryptos, you will need 512k. I could not play them on my old Hewlet Packard that had only 256K.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. If you want to play the Cryptos, you will need 512k. I could not play them on my old Hewlet Packard that had only 256K.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably means MB. I 4-table on my 1.6GHZ 256MB system with no problems w/ PT and GT+. 8-tabling, on the other hand, is quite a mess...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:29 PM

ram is really cheap. i would get at least 512
Old 05-17-2005, 08:17 PM

I'm going to agree with those who said at least 512 is a good idea, and the previous poster is right that you can get RAM really cheap nowadays, especially if you shop around online.

On a semi-related note, does anyone have a good idea of what sort of specs you need (not just RAM) to get a Poker Tracker to run smoothly while you have some other applications open (like poker tables) and your PT database is getting large? I find that PT often chokes and freezes for me lately while it's in the loading large amounts of data phase. I recently upgraded to 1280 megs of RAM, which helped somewhat but not completely so I don't think it's a RAM problem. I have plenty of open hard disk space, run Windows XP home, and have an Athlon 2400. Oh, and I do check for spyware and run virus checks. Computer is clean as far as I can tell.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to agree with those who said at least 512 is a good idea, and the previous poster is right that you can get RAM really cheap nowadays, especially if you shop around online.

On a semi-related note, does anyone have a good idea of what sort of specs you need (not just RAM) to get a Poker Tracker to run smoothly while you have some other applications open (like poker tables) and your PT database is getting large? I find that PT often chokes and freezes for me lately while it's in the loading large amounts of data phase. I recently upgraded to 1280 megs of RAM, which helped somewhat but not completely so I don't think it's a RAM problem. I have plenty of open hard disk space, run Windows XP home, and have an Athlon 2400. Oh, and I do check for spyware and run virus checks. Computer is clean as far as I can tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

with a very large database (>500MB), queries are going to start to take a long time no matter what your specs are. Sounds to me like it's time to start a new database :-\
Old 05-17-2005, 08:56 PM

if you have enough ram to run windows XP, then you have enough RAM for poker sites.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a semi-related note, does anyone have a good idea of what sort of specs you need (not just RAM) to get a Poker Tracker to run smoothly while you have some other applications open (like poker tables) and your PT database is getting large?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have dual 2.8GHz Xeons and PT still sometimes causes slowdowns and jerky performance in other windows. The dual processor setup does help out a lot though, particularly if I remember to limit PT to just one processor and keep the poker site software from using that one.

Probably more hardware than most people are willing to throw at the situation.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:14 PM

I run 4 table on a 333 AMD 64ram... run fine.

IMO,get a top nunch computer