Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM

Default NL reading order suggestions needed

So, here's the deal...
I've come to that fork in the road to either stop playing poker or find something new to maintain my interest within poker. I love poker and can't bare the thought of returning to "corprate America". I'm simply just getting bored with it. After much though I've decided to take on some side projects to break up the monotony as well as start clean with NL.

I've mainly played limit through my career because I find the variance easier to deal with while poker is my only source of income. I have played a lot of NL cash games (full & short) and NL tournaments (both single & multi) with some credible and profitable success. However, the numbers are pale in comparison to my limit game. I've had a long standing goal of playing only NL tournaments, both multi & single table, and I feel I'd like to get a solid gip on it before taking that step. In order to solve my current dilemma I want to relearn NL in all forms with a focus on full ring games and multi-table tourneys. I'd like to begin that process by putting some serious effort and time into the books.

I'm looking for and order in which to read through the ones I have and possibly pick up a few more books on the subject. I'd also like to include some related books which I'll precede with an * in the listing. Here's what I have...

1)Tournament Poker and the Art of War, by Apostolico
2)Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold'em, Cloutier and McEvoy
3)No-Limit Texas Hold'em, Daugherty and McEvoy
4)*Theory of Poker, Sklansky
5)Harrington on Hold'em Volume 1, Harrington
6)Super System 1, Brunson (the NL section)
7)Getting Started in Hold'em, Miller (the NL section)
8)Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, Sklansky

Books being considered for purchase...
1)Harrington on Hold'em Volume 2, Harrington
2)Super System 2, Brunson (for the NL section)
3)Ace on the River, Greenstein
4)Championship Hold'em Tournament Hands, Cloutier and McEvoy
5)Championship Tournament Poker, McEvoy
6)Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, Gordon
7)Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker, Ciaffone and Reuben

Again I'm looking for an order of attack for the reading of the books I have as well as the "Books being considered for purchase" and any of your suggestions that may not be included in the above listings.

In closing I'd just like to add (for those of you who don't already know) I read poker books like crazy and truely believe that the more information the better. I have no problem adding ten or more new books to my library. I have a large library now but they are mostly limit specific. So if your suggested list is twenty-some books long I won't view it as unreasonable.

Cheers,

deacsoft
Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: NL reading order suggestions needed

With your experience, I think you will be good to start off with HOH. Although it focuses on tournament play, much of the advice can carry forward to cash play also. Another book that will help alter your mindset from limit to NL is PL and NL Poker by Ciaffone. These would be the first two books I recommend. Then the chapter in SS, but depending on what stakes your playing at, you may need to adjust some of the strategy (a bit of discussion about this has taken place on the main page). After this, The Little Green Book could be worth a read.

Just my initial thoughts,
PJS
Old 12-08-2005, 02:35 AM

HoH I&II are good books. I havent read AOTR by BG, but as you can see, there are mixed reviews. PG's LGB has gotten excellent reviews.

PL&NL poker by ciaffone/reuben is quite good. SS is good as well, but some advice is a bit different to todays structure.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 PM

No-Limit Texas Hold'em, Daugherty and McEvoy, I'd get rid of this.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:02 PM

HOH1 & 2 & Phil Gordan's Little Green Book will give you an excellent start. I really don't think you need anything else. Most people read too many books. The fact is that most books are garbage. Read these 3 and get the Miller and Negreanu books when they come out. If you play live, add Caro's Book of Tells. Then play, play, play. Experience will do wonders
Old 12-08-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Books being considered for purchase...
1)Harrington on Hold'em Volume 2, Harrington -- EXCELLENT - BUY AND READ THIS FOR TOURNEYS
2)Super System 2, Brunson (for the NL section) - DON'T BOTHER - TOO SIMILAR TO SS1
3)Ace on the River, Greenstein -- GOOD STUFF, BUT NOT WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR -- LEAF THRU THE TOURNEY HANDS IN THE BOOKSTORE
4)Championship Hold'em Tournament Hands, Cloutier and McEvoy - DON'T BOTHER
5)Championship Tournament Poker, McEvoy - DON'T BOTHER
6)Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, Gordon - VERY GOOD BOOK. MOST APPLICABLE FOR TOURNEYS, ALSO HELPFUL FOR RING. IT IS PITCHED MORE TOWARD BEGINNER-INTERMEDIATE. IT READS LIKE WLLH-BY JONES IN TERMS OF EASE OF REVIEW, BUT WITH FAR FAR HIGHER QUALITY CONTENT
7)Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker, Ciaffone and Reuben - EXCELLENT, PARTICULARLY FOR BET-SIZING AND POT CONTROL ISSUES

ORDER - GORDON, CIAFFONE, HARRINGTON

AS AN ASIDE, I THINK #1-3 ON YOUR EXISTING LIST ARE NOT WORTH YOUR TIME

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-08-2005, 05:10 PM

some other ideas (i have harrington 1/2 and little green book and they are excellent)

i am probably going to buy fox and lindgren.

russell fox
kill phil
erick lindgren
note: sorry for mixture of authors/titles

i can't wait for negreanu or miller NL (especially, i find almost all books assume pretty big $$$ and good players, and almost everywhere i play that is not true).