Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Help needed - Anybody watch TV through their monitor? (2001FP)

I'm trying to find a way of connecting a digital TV receiver box to my monitor not using my PC at all.

I'll be able to get the picture OK using a SCART to S-Video connection - but I'm completely stuck when it comes to having the sound be played through normal PC speakers. The digi boxes I've looked at don't have headphone sockets to plug into.

Anyone think of any simple way of doing this as the only way i can dream up seems insanely complicated
Old 09-30-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Help needed - Anybody watch TV through their monitor? (2001FP)

I just set this up and it is complicated. I assume you want to play PC sound through the speakers sometimes as well correct? You need a 4-way Audio Video Switcher box from radioshack and all the appropriate cables to get the sound from the digital box and your PC to the switcher. Then you need the cables to get it from the switcher box to your speakers.

J
Old 09-30-2005, 10:27 AM

And you could probably buy a 20" color TV for less than than what Radio Shack will charge for all that stuff.

To the OP, how about installing XP Media Center and buying a TV card for the PC? Media Center is great; I use the "TIVO" features a lot.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM

No need to even install XP Media Center. Pony up and buy the Hauppauge 150 TV tuner card. Less then $100, easy as pie to install and it comes with a remote (linky ). The only thing i cant seem to figure out with this card is how to schedule it to record TV, though this isnt a big deal to me at the moment.

cubs
Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No need to even install XP Media Center. Pony up and buy the Hauppauge 150 TV tuner card. Less then $100, easy as pie to install and it comes with a remote (linky ). The only thing i cant seem to figure out with this card is how to schedule it to record TV, though this isnt a big deal to me at the moment.

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

GB PVR
Old 09-30-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to find a way of connecting a digital TV receiver box to my monitor not using my PC at all.

I'll be able to get the picture OK using a SCART to S-Video connection - but I'm completely stuck when it comes to having the sound be played through normal PC speakers. The digi boxes I've looked at don't have headphone sockets to plug into.

Anyone think of any simple way of doing this as the only way i can dream up seems insanely complicated

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am understanding you correctly, this is what you need. It only gives you composite out, however.

link
Old 09-30-2005, 05:56 PM

actually, this is even better.

link
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 PM

I have mine streamed over my home network from my receiver, and usually put the TV on the 2nd 2001fp when it's inactive.

It has a neat browser interface that allows me to change the station from my computer.

It's (practically) a linux box, and takes a little computer know-how, plenty of reading, and some time to get it up and running. But, it's probably one of the best purchases I have made in a long time.

linky