Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: What is the appeal of Turbos?

[ QUOTE ]
what is the structure of the turbos on stars?

[/ QUOTE ]

t1500 and 5 minute blinds (instead of 10)

10/20
15/30
25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
100/200 25 ante
200/400 25 ante
200/600 "
Old 05-27-2005, 11:24 AM

the problem i have with the turbos is that while they take about the same amount of time as the party tournaments, i feel like i'm getting fewer hands in or something. personally i'm into the 10 man sngs instead of 9, and 3rd place actually paying something. but i can see where the draw of it would be for a casual player, specifically one who only has an account only at stars, and is looking for something faster than their normal sngs.

citanul
Old 05-27-2005, 11:25 AM

so how do these compare to party are they worth giving a shot or should I just not waste my time? I know dfscott plays them and party
Old 05-27-2005, 11:39 AM

The psychos are gone just as quick, the blinds get significant quickly, thus you can blind away the passives quickly; while the speed of it all overwhelms the normal SNGers who sat at the wrong table.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so how do these compare to party are they worth giving a shot or should I just not waste my time? I know dfscott plays them and party

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you good? If so, dont waste your time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

these are about 75% of my SNG experience (~2000)...never played at party but I imagine the hourly rate is comparable.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:38 PM

I've wondered about these. I've seen some here rave about them being great.

I've wondered if the skills of knowing when to aggressively push gained at Party translate well. Citanul doesn't seem to think so, but I think dfscott was liking these a lot, so I wonder if that's why -- because his aggressive Party-style play translated well there to a situation where blinds are going up blur fast and overwehelming your typical Stars player, whereas a typical Party player would feel more at home in them.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:36 PM

They take less time to play, so if you're +EV in them, you can play more of them. As another poster said, that offsets the fact that you have somewhat less chance to exploit your superior skill (whether it offsets it by more or less than 100% is debatable). I think they are actually a bit quicker than Party sngs and considerably quicker than normal Stars ones. They also have lower vig than the normal sngs, which adds a bit to your ROI (unless you only play Stars when clearing a bonus, in which case it's a wash).
Old 05-27-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy playing the 27s occasionally for a change of pace. As others have said, the vig is less, the play is just about the same as the party 22s, and aggression on the bubble is much less common (leaving you plenty of opportunities to exploit).

In addition, they take about the same amount of time as the Party SnGs (I average 35 minutes), so I don't feel like I'm giving up anything timewise. The biggest downside is that I have one less buy-in in the pot, but I get to play a lot more post-flop poker, which balances it out for me.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:34 PM

the rake is very good on stars turbos