Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: When do you break the first rule of the Fight Club?

I don't think telling people makes a bit of difference. To 99% of those who play and come here find the intensity of 2+2 intimidating and overwhelming. It is, in fact, our own little world. I've been here over a year and it took almost that entire first year of reading posts, studying and play,play,play to get comfortable enough to post. Tell everyone - most won't stick around long enough to benefit. I'd wager the core community that has stuck it out over one year is fairly small.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:05 PM

It takes dedication and devoted studying/reading to get something out of these forums.

Most people won't hang around even if you lead them here and set their browser start page to twoplustwo. But those relatively few that do hang around and make an effort to get better will hopefully become good enough to contribute to making these forums into what they are.

Without readers/posters 2+2=4 but with lots of good players here 2+2 > 4 so I wouldn't be worried if every poker player in the world was told about it.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-19-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see a problem with it. my friends aren't too interested in not being fish - which is fine with me when we play our home games. but when one of them asks about how to get better, i tell them in a heartbeat. and in your case, the guy seems genuine, and it's not as if you're converting a fish. basically, i only have a problem with it when some table coach starts ranting at the fish after he takes a bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggred. I have told a few people. I doubt any have actually been here.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:48 PM

Default You can lead a horse to water...

I have a good friend who has played poker on the order of 15-20 hours a week for the last 8 months or so. He plays well, and has cashed out more than he has put in. I have told him about 2+2, and the benefits that I have derived from it. He has very little to no interest in it.

I have another friend who lives in Cali, plays live fairly often, and plays online on the order of 10-15 hours a week. He is seriously considering becoming a poker pro, and in the past has exclusively played poker to pay the bills. I have mentioned 2+2 to him a few times. He has very little or no interest in this site.

(In both cases, they checked out the forums, read some threads, etc.)
Old 05-19-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: You can lead a horse to water...

I have also told a few friends and they don't have any interest.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:04 PM

It's on the cover of every 2+2 book published. How big a secret could it be?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's on the cover of every 2+2 book published. How big a secret could it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Said this before and I will say it again. I put 150 into party got my clock cleaned. Read some 2+2 books now I am a winning player. I played 2/4 3/6 4/8 6/12 8/16 live and won at a niuce clip.

I play 2/4 3/6 and 5/10 online and I win. with out the books I would have played like the NITS, DONKS and MONKEYS. I dont coach people or do I help bad players. I will help a select few. I really think that table coaches have a low selfestem. They help to make themselves feel bigger (boost that ego).

You know you want to call 3 bets cold with 52o more power to you. I will not tell you how bad that is to do that.

Please play them. People knock people that play crap then wonder why the games have gotten tougher. Hell you keep telling me how bad I am I am going to read books to make me better.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 PM

My feeling on this is that I will certainly tell friends who have an interest in getting serious about poker. I'd also be willing to tell a random pleasant-seeming person I meet if they express an interest in finding sources for improving their poker. This person is interested enough that he'd probably find some good info eventually in any case, and I don't feel the need to be a jerk about it.

I think it's probably a bad idea to talk about 2+2, or poker books, or what's the correct play, etc. at the table for two reasons. The less important of the two is that it will increase the number of skilled opponents. Probably only a few who had no idea there was useful guidance out there would really be serious enough to check it out anyway. I think the more important reason is "don't tap the glass," not so much because we don't want fish to improve their games but mostly because a fair number of people who are playing mostly for fun are going to be turned off if they get the idea that they are playing against people who expect to beat them and view them as suckers. Lots of casual players will accept losing and come back for more as long as they feel like it's fun. Most people do not like to be made to feel stupid though, and giving them the idea that they're playing against sharks who consider them easy pickings may very well drive a lot of them away.

Great subject title, BTW [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 08:14 PM

A lot of people know about the forum, but they leave. It's not a big secret :

Here is my very own story :
Friend : "go check out twoplustwo.com"
Me : I go check it out, wow , I hate how the forum is : the threaded thing suck, the flat one only have up to 10 post max, wow I never go ther again.

2 week later I came back, I register, and I realise I could modify some stuff!

So only the one that really want to learn will actually benefit from 2+2
Old 05-19-2005, 10:05 PM

2+2 is like the NY Times. Many people subscribe, but very read it. Even few get anything out of it.

In short.. nothing to hide anymore. Walk into Atlantic City and sit down at a 10/20 game. 8 out of 10 people know about 2+2 already. The cats out of the bag kids... we need to quit kidding ourselves that we are an elite group, cause we are not.

With that said, I still think its -ev to discuss 2+2 at the table. Its also -ev to post you photo here because when you least expect it someone will walk up to you that you have never met before and say - "I know you... TT right?". It happened to me just yesterday, how embarrassing!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]