Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-28-2005, 01:26 AM

Default BR for 4-way play

I have a question regarding making the move to 4-way play, and it concerns bankroll. I play limit games.

The rule of thumb I've been going by is, for any given limit, buy in for 25 big bets but keep a bank roll of 500 big bets. This has me buying in a 1/2 game for fifty bucks with 2k in reserve.

Now when I start playing 1/2 4-way, I'll be buying in for fifty bucks four times.

I'm wondering do I need a larger reserve (since I'm now risking two hundred bucks at a time and not fifty)

or

will my two thousand be enough (since I'm still only risking fifty bucks at any one table)?

What's the rule of thumb here?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: BR for 4-way play

When multi tabling, you're just getting hands in faster, so you don't really need a bigger bankroll.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:58 AM

2k for 1/2 is might large....
Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 AM

500Big bets is a bit excessive. 300 should be more then enough. also 2k is 1000 big bets. so you are absolutely in the clear for 1/2. Multitablingh will actually decrease your variance so you don't need to up the bankroll.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
500Big bets is a bit excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not.

I had 1,500.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 AM

for 1/2? I understand the need for big buffers at high stakes, but if you are a winning player at 1/2 it is unnecessary. If you are learning to play, that's another matter(or learning to multibable).
Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
500Big bets is a bit excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 AM

2k is plenty for playing 1/2 limit. Look at it this way, you're not really changing your stakes by 4-tabling. In theory you are only speeding up the rate at which your bankroll would have increased or decreased anyway. Of course, this is assuming that playing 4 tables at once will not affect your winrate.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 AM

500 BB at 1-2 is $1000 not $2000
Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 AM

You do not need a bigger bankroll for playing four tables than for one table provided you play the exact same way. As someone noted, you're not moving to four times your original stakes; you're just making the hands happen four times faster.

In practice, we all play a little differently with more tables. I feel most people play better with two tables than one (less temptation to limp in on poor cards.) Moving to three and then four will probably impact your play in the other direction, though, until you get used to occasionally being on four hands at once.

Since the quality of your play will go down, you might be wise to keep a slightly bigger bankroll.

As well, your possible swing size per hour will increase. You'll often get the good tables matching bad table to minimize the change, but you have the potential for much bigger gains and losses in short periods of times. This takes tougher psychological stuff to handle. That's another good reason for a bigger bankroll; a $500 loss feel awful on a $1000 bankroll, while it's easy to stomache against $2500.

Lastly, you also need to remember the 300BB guideline is based on a providing a decent likelihood of not losing it all, assuming you are a good player. Are you really good enough?

If you're good enough, the 300BB bankroll gives a strong likelihood of not tapping out. It's not a guarantee. In fact, there's a significant chance of tapping out a 300BB bankroll. It's small, but possible.

Tapping out a $1/$2 bankroll is not a crusher. It can be replaced from other earnings (flip burgers for a month.) But if your game is $5/$10 and you've built a $5/$10 bankroll which is way more dispsable income than you put away in many months, you do NOT want your bankroll to tap out, ever.

So, how much is the right bankroll for you?

If you are really a good player and adjust well to the new game, you're just fine with 300BB. If you could replace the bankroll by trimming a few weeks of paychecks, then you can run a little more risky -- such as playing at levels where you're not yet sure of your relative skill level, such as 4-tabling.

On the other hand, if you've only played, say, 20,000 hands, then you don't really know your win rate. You're pretty sure you're a winner, but not by how much. Consider your entire bankroll at risk playing at 300BB. And if the bankroll is so big relative to your earnings that you can't replace it, stick with more than 300BB no matter how good your are.