Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 04:08 AM

Default 10+1 Strategy, Does Harrington On Holdem Apply(Hoh)?

How does it, how does it not. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: 10+1 Strategy, Does Harrington On Holdem Apply(Hoh)?

HOH will teach you to watch position, chips, and players, if you're the kind of player that only knows how to look at your hole cards.

HOH assumes that the play is tighter and more reasonable than much $10 table play. For example, he'll suggest bets of 2-4 times the blind, where at $10 party tables, that won't scare enough people away when you want it.

He doesn't give you a formula for beating the $10+1 tables. That, you can find on the message board here. He may give you a better understand of the NL tornument game theory.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:58 PM

I believe HOH1 gives you more insight on what to do in cetain situations and tells you to have table awareness. Some of the stuff does apply online, but the 10's are a different story. HE assumes that your not playing with complete donks.... Its def a good insight to the gameand will help you imrpove your game at the 10's.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:51 PM

I play 10's with the occasional 20. I have seen an improvement in my game after reading HoH. I'll pick up HoH2 next weekend. I hope it's as good as vol 1.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:22 PM

If you're playing Party, the starting hands in HoH I are too loose for the first several rounds. The starting hands are generally pretty good advice for deeper stack sites like Stars.

Being a relatively new player, I got a lot out of both books. Just remember at the lower buy-ins to just play ABC poker, and don't try too many (if any) of the fancy moves...
Old 07-30-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing Party, the starting hands in HoH I are too loose for the first several rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely agree.

I was ignorant to the concept of continuation bets and probe bets prior to HoH. These have helped a lot. I knew about pot odds, but never considered them. Also a big help. Basically, I was playing my hands and not the table.