Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Firing the second barrel - a discussion

A couple of nights ago I was playing and I something clicked. I didn’t know how to correctly play a very specific, often repeated, betting sequence. I think this play comes up a lot and I saw it at least three times during my session. I’ve probably seen it many hundreds of times before and I imagine I made some almost random play without really thinking about it. Since this betting sequence comes up so often I think it is probably worth a fair amount to get it straightened out, or to at least discuss it and hopefully clarify a few things to myself. With that in mind I would like to say that I am posting the following examples because they illustrate the general concept that I want to get figured out. We can discuss the individual hands but I am really just supplying them as examples to start a discussion more so than to actually analyze the hands themselves.

So, the general concept I want to discuss is when you are head’s up with position and are the pre-flop raiser without a pocket pair. You then bet the flop after your opponent checks to you and your opponent calls you. He checks to your again on the turn and you have still not made a pair – when do we fire the second barrel? And, if we get check raised how do we respond?

I think what needs to be figured out and discussed is the texture of the board and how that should influence our desire to fire again. I could be wrong. Also, it’s possible I’m the only one who cares about this topic or thinks it is important but oh well.

For the purposes of discussion let’s define our opponent as “typical” meaning that he is slightly too loose, slightly too aggressive, and goes slightly too far with his hands. He is not a maniac or a particularly terrible player, but this is how I view the typical player that is unknown to me.

<font color="blue">Hand 1:</font>
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed)
Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $15.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop:8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn:J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="purple">Hero ?</font>

<font color="blue">Hand 2:</font>
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)
Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop:4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn:J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="purple">Hero ?</font>

<font color="blue">Hand 3:</font>
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)
Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

Flop:7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn:9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="purple">Hero ?</font>

PS. I would also like to discuss the situation when we are out of position as I think it is different and worth discussing seperately. I will post about it when I find a few good examples.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Firing the second barrel - a discussion

this is going to be a goooooood thread.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately too. you get check-raised so often in these situations that sometimes it's best to give your opponent a free card, and call the inevitable river bet.

(This is just stream of conscience writing. this all could be very wrong, but I'm going to spit out my thoughts) I think a lot of it has to do with whether you think your hand is best unimproved. basically, can I call a river bet if I get check-raised? I think this is important because so often you're being check-raised by a worse hand. For example, in hand 1, I might not bet because (1) some of his "outs" make you a flush, and (2) because if you get check-raised you'll throw your hand away, costing you 2 bets overall. I'd rather check the turn, and raise the river, gaining 2 bets if I hit, and maybe calling a river bet, depending on the card, costing you only 1 bet. Also, with all those low cards and a BB defender, I feel a check-raise coming most of the time.

Hand 2- I bet because any A beats you, and if you check the turn, you're not getting him to fold the river. I think you'd get check-raised on the flop if he had a pair. since he called, I think there's a chance he'll fold. this goes against my logic in the last hand because I wouldn't call a river bet if I got check-raised. I think getting an A to fold is of primary concern here. If you get check-raised, you'll be beat most of the time (unless he picked up a heart draw, or has a spade draw).

Hand 3- this is tough. he didn't call the flop with overcards. he could've called with an overcard. he could've called with a crappy draw. he could've called with the intention of check-raising. he could've called with a 9. I'd bet and call down if check-raised here. there's a lot of draws on the board, and I'd like to win it here, and I think he'll be full of it enough to call a check-raise.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:36 PM

with all those low cards and a BB defender, I feel a check-raise coming most of the time.

I think this is important.

So between hand 1 and hand 2 it apears that you are more afraid of a check raise in the first hand because of the very low board and this sways you from betting to checking (since hand 1 and hand 2 are similar in terms of number of outs).

It also appears that you think we need to fold the river unimproved in both these hands if we get check raised. I think this is probably correct.

In hand 3 there is almost no river card we can be comfortable with if our opponent bets into us after we check through on the turn. Combined with the number of draws on board and I think this throws the decision to check/bet towards betting but also think we are in a very bad spot here once check raised. We have to be good a little over 25% of the time which seems like a lot if we get check raised. (This doesn't include the times where we are ahead on the turn but he draws out on us on the river, so I would increase this percentage to over 30%). I think if we get check raised in hand 3 we have to fold, but I hate it. Actually, it's probably correct for us to call the turn and fold the river since we would be getting around 7-1 on the turn.

Maybe there is a general maxim for these situations such as: It is incorrect to call on the river unimproved after calling a check raise on the turn. (I'm certainly not convinced of this but think it's highly probable even though we would be getting 9-1.)
Old 08-05-2004, 12:07 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

It is incorrect to call on the river unimproved after calling a check raise on the turn.

I don't understand why you believe this is true. I routinely call down check-raises in spots where I think it's likely my opponent had a draw and missed, and often I'll win the pot. the semi-bluff check-raise is the most overused play in the games I play in. this may be different at 15/30 though. Now, I can guarantee that I've lost money by calling down too much after being check-raised, but since I call routinely, I notice that they often have nothing. there's got to be some way to figure out when it's right to call or not.

I'm going to go through my db and post some hand examples.

[cue] I wonder where StellarWind is. [/cue]
Old 08-05-2004, 12:19 AM

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (4.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.16 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (9.16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 4c Qc (two pair, queens and fours).
Hero shows Ac Kd (high card, ace).
Outcome: BB wins 9.16 BB. </font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (8.25 BB).</font>

BB shows 2d As (two pair, eights and twos).
Hero shows Kh Ad (one pair, eights).
Outcome: BB wins 8.25 BB. </font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (11 BB).</font>

Hero shows Ah Kc (one pair, threes).
Button shows 4h Ad (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB. </font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (7.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.66 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP1 (9.66 BB).</font>

Hero shows Qs Ad (high card, ace).
MP1 shows Ah 3c (straight, six high).
Outcome: MP1 wins 9.66 BB. </font>
Old 08-05-2004, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you believe this is true

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't, I thought it was a possibility. But, since I agree with the rest of your post completely it is obviously not a possibility and the trick is finding the balance.

The check/raise semi-bluff is the most over-used play online at all limits including 15/30 where it is quite common. Do you call it down with King high or wait util you have Ace high?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:46 AM

I only call down with K-high when I feel strongly that the player has nothing. I still lose a lot of the time to A-high, which is why I wait until I'm really sure. I think calling with K-high is generally a losing proposition, because a good amount of hands that your opponent semi-bluffs with include an A
Old 08-04-2004, 10:45 PM

“typical” meaning that he is slightly too loose, slightly too aggressive, and goes slightly too far with his hands

And this sort of behaviour is what we are trying to avoid ourselves by examining this line of betting yes? Are we taking the hand too far or being too agressive by firing the second barrel?

My one question before i jump into the hands is...if this is an overly agressive player, why is he checking too me? Should I be feeling uneasy because of this passivity?

Maybe Im too agressive, but without any real read, my default play is to bet out in all 3 situations. There are just too many intrinsic benefits associated with betting out that it makes sense to bet given the passivity of the villain and your powerful outs.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:15 PM

There are just too many intrinsic benefits associated with betting out that it makes sense to bet given the passivity of the villain and your powerful outs.

What are they? Part of the reason I posted was to bring these benefits out in the open to be discussed and weighed.

My one question before i jump into the hands is...if this is an overly agressive player, why is he checking too me?

In general my typical player is slightly too agressive with his hands. When these players have no hand they can be quite passive, or randomly reckless. Of course, your question is exactly why these situations are not easy to play.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:59 PM

My typical playstyle would be to:

Bet hands 1 and 2. Plenty of non-pair hands he could have from the flop that he'd drop, and you've got tons of outs.

Check hand 3. You've got the only two overcards, and the middle card just paired.