Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Getting married to garabage

Does anyone play this differently? Opponent wasn't noticably crazy.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (2.70 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (6.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (8.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: 10.35 BB
Old 09-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Getting married to garabage

Against someone sane, you're beat on 5th...and badly. Since he was the bring in, he could have started rolled up or with a buried big pair (Kings, Aces?). Or he took one off and hit trip 5's on 4th. If he's decent he doesn't call 3rd and 4th with pocket 4's (in which case he might raise 5th open ended). I put him on a buried pocket pair that decided to wait till 5th cause he's the bring in, rolled up trips or turned trips the vast majority of the time. And even if he has a buried big pair, you're in bad shape. Against a sane opponent who doesn't make weird plays, I liekly release on 5th.

Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM

I agree with Jeffage, you are likely crushed on 5th and need to find a fold there.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:10 PM

Many people will raise on 5th when they hit their 4 flush. As a result you are likely still in front. And putting the player on this hand allows you to come out betting on 6th when he doesn't hit his suit. By not betting, you risk giving a free card. You need to play this hand to river and check and call on river if bet into.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people will raise on 5th when they hit their 4 flush. As a result you are likely still in front.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know as I agree. It really depends on the opponent, but with 4 dead hearts on 5th street and up against a likely big pair, the only value in raising is to get a free card on 6th (that and fold equity). I really think hero is behind on this, as Jeffage eloquiently posted.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM

"Many people will raise on 5th when they hit their 4 flush. As a result you are likely still in front. And putting the player on this hand allows you to come out betting on 6th when he doesn't hit his suit. By not betting, you risk giving a free card. You need to play this hand to river and check and call on river if bet into."

This is hi-lo, pal. He is lit up like a Christmas tree.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:07 PM

um, the hand history only says hi...
Old 09-08-2005, 07:15 PM

Yep, in case you were wondering, I am pretty dumb.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:23 PM

Yeah, fifth is probably the place to fold, although I usually pay off like an ATM myself. Anyone else like a fold on third?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 PM

I also pay off here too much. But this isn't a board that's likely to be bluffing, in addition to all the other reasons. You might only be behind 2 pair, but fold seems good.