Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 AM

Default 40/80, image is everything??

40 on paradise 5 handed.

guy to my right is a real idiot fish that is making this game good. but he shows some restraint sometimes.

a typical play he did was this, 1 limper (who left the table after the hand) he raises i 3bet limper calls he caps i call. flop is Jhigh club draw he checks i bet limper calls he c'rs i 3bet limper calls he caps iwe both call.

turn is T check check i bet limper calls fish c'rs again i 3bet he caps both call,

river is a 9. bet fold call. i am shown 9c8c and i win.

so my image at this point is pretty crazy just because im kickin ass and (only against the idiot) raising and reraising what would seem to be light.

ONTO THE HAND (sorry about the long intro, but i think it matters.)

1 lmper (differnt guy) im in sb w/ JJ villian (c'rer in abovce hand is on button).villian raisese on button i 3bet limper calls villian caps i call,

flop is Ax8d5c i check planning on c'ring the fish, it checks around, damn.

turn is 4d i bet limper calls fish folds.

river is Td, i bet for value.

Barron
Old 08-31-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: 40/80, image is everything??

yes, very good.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:03 AM

What does the 2nd hand have to do with the first, or your image? What exactly do you think your image is?

In the 2nd hand, you cap JJ and the villain folds on the turn after checking the flop... then you continue to bet the jacks for value against the limper... Ok?

It's early, but I'm just not following any of this... where is the point?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. i dont like the river bet, i'll go into it later but i wanna see what other sthink.

Barron
Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 AM

I think he's suggesting that the limper is going to be calling down light against a maniac chip-spewer.... e.g. argumant in favour of value betting.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:58 PM

I'm still confused... he said it was a different limper entirely. What could this limper have that he would call the turn & river with that jacks beat, that he wouldn't have called if he respected the OP? I just don't see how this could be a value bet, even if you think he thinks you're a maniac... almost any hand he can call with beats you.

For ex, say he has 99... or even 89. If OP checks the flop and then bets the turn, depending on his style of play he is going to call him down or fold anyway regardless of his "maniac image."

I could be wrong but I'm inclined to believe this sort of reasoning will lose money.

Say I showed down 57o after capping preflop & betting the whole way... few hands later I get JJ and raise in EP... someone 3 bets, and someone caps... Do I think they think I'm a maniac and therefore put them on weak holdings? No, I think they think I'm a maniac and therefore have strong holdings and are ready to take me on. I could be alone on this though?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:39 PM

is limper a good thinking player for this game?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:01 PM

W/o you giving us a read on the limper I do not see how valuable the advice can be. There are plenty of players this a a super easy value bet against, and many others that it is not. Since you are not check folding though it is pretty rare that check calling is better than betting (I would doubt he would bluff at this one).

I do not really get how this first hand is that relevant unless you took it down with less than a J and he thinks you are totally FoS.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:21 AM

Preflop is standard.

I like the flop line.

Turn is kinda forced.

River is fairly close, and my gut said to check before I read any of the responses.

The obvious reason for betting is that he will call you with alot worse hands that he won't bet, and he should almost always bet an ace if you check.

The sticker here is that he is fixin to raise you.
He checked an ace (or stronger) to the idiot fish on the flop. On the turn he just called figuring a strong likelyhood of picking up more value from idiot fish, maybe even a raise.

And on the river he knows you bet margial jib jab.

So, he is going to punish you.

You can fold though, it just sucks.

On another note, with all your crazy action, if you check, he could check a weak ace behind fearing a check raise.

I dont love checking here. I just dont love betting more.

truth
Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's suggesting that the limper is going to be calling down light against a maniac chip-spewer.... e.g. argumant in favour of value betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

"E.g." means "for example". What I think you want to use is "i.e.".

E.g., i.e., [censored] you! The point is this: When I say "jump", you say "OK", okay?