Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post: play along in a marginal situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't read other responses, cause Jason always updates the hand and makes me have results oriented thinking! I am calling this flop, with the plan of seeing where I am on the turn. I have a pair (and backdoor straight draw) on a board where people are going to call with overcards, so there is a good chance I am ahead. The pot is decent, so I am staying in at this point.

I can't raise the flop because it won't protect my hand, and this hand has poor reverse implied odds. Further, a raise here will make the hand significantly harder to play on the turn - if it got checked to you it could be because someone is planning a checkraise. But if you flat call, and the action goes bet fold fold, then I could find a raise there.

So call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful; you saved me the trouble of having to elaborate later as this is exactly what I was thinking on the flop. And it's nice to Justin A and you supporting the call now since the first few responses and the conversations I had over AIM about the hand all said fold the flop.

Also, why are people folding on a flop like this after limping with 57s?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really reasoning to call at all. Vague phrases like "the pot is decent" and "I call with the intention of seeing where I am on the turn" are not sufficient IMO. Why do you call this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting 8:1 on a call. I don't have to be good that often for this call to be correct. On the turn, since I have good position, I can make a correct decision based on the action on the turn and keep myself from getting trapped, even if I hit a bigger hand.

Edit: jgorham gave a better explanation.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:47 AM

If you bet (and even you cant check here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), I like how you've played this hand so far
Old 07-04-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet (and even you cant check here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), I like how you've played this hand so far

[/ QUOTE ]

He better damn well bet this turn if he called that flop...
Old 07-04-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't limp on the button with 57s unless I have 3 limpers already in the pot. Am I giving up a marginal opportunity? Perhaps, but the pot size doesn't warrant the risk. I should have mentioned that in my previous post, sorry... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.... I've been going back reading over some old threads Jason T just told me about such as LINK and LINK , I am surprised to see the comments about 2 limpers on the button with a small 1 gap suited connector. Generally I have agreed with MLH's recomendation of only playing this hand preflop with 3 limpers. I can't say I am totally convinced, but I will adjust my game to see to incorporate these hands preflop to see where it takes me. Thanks for the heads up Jason....

Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 AM

Of course I bet the turn. But after all the "fold" responses to the flop, I was questioning my play in this hand.

Party 2/4.

Preflop: I am Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
MP3 open limps, CO limps, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, BB bets, MP3 calls, CO calls, I call, SB folds.

Turn: (9 SB = 4.5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, I bet, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO raises, I call, BB folds, MP3 folds.

River: (10.5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
CO bets, I....
Old 07-04-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't limp on the button with 57s unless I have 3 limpers already in the pot. Am I giving up a marginal opportunity? Perhaps, but the pot size doesn't warrant the risk. I should have mentioned that in my previous post, sorry... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.... I've been going back reading over some old threads Jason T just told me about such as LINK and LINK , I am surprised to see the comments about 2 limpers on the button with a small 1 gap suited connector. Generally I have agreed with MLH's recomendation of only playing this hand preflop with 3 limpers. I can't say I am totally convinced, but I will adjust my game to see to incorporate these hands preflop to see where it takes me. Thanks for the heads up Jason....

[/ QUOTE ]

cf. also this post from Entity.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:08 AM

This is quite odd. You're check-raised on the turn by the CO with only you left to act. If CO knows you're a TAG, he may make this play thinking you may fold immediately since he thinks he's representing a 6. A 6 better not be check-raising the turn from that position, that would be retarded, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

You raise the river and he folded?

Edit: To clarify, I think folding is the best option by a wide margin. However, raising seems to be a somewhat valid option in my opinion. I definitely don't call.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I bet the turn. But after all the "fold" responses to the flop, I was questioning my play in this hand.

Party 2/4.

Preflop: I am Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
MP3 open limps, CO limps, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, BB bets, MP3 calls, CO calls, I call, SB folds.

Turn: (9 SB = 4.5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, I bet, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO raises, I call, BB folds, MP3 folds.

River: (10.5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
CO bets, I....

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:09 AM

Before someone comments, I like the turn call. Its very marginal, but the hero is breaking even thanks to his implied odds.

I fold the river.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:16 AM

I fold this river. If I was going to call it, however (probably based on a read of CO), I would 3bet the turn and take a free river.