Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Has anyone been a poker prop?

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Is it a strain, or difficult? Are there other benefits besides what they claim?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Has anyone been a poker prop?

[ QUOTE ]
Are there other benefits besides what they claim?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're not very good at shorthanded play, you'll get better fast or die trying [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 AM

Usually you're playing on smaller sites where 1-2 other people at your table are props, sometimes more. Props tend to be better players than the general population. YOu might make an extra $x per table in prop pay, but end up winning $1/3*x less because of the tougher games.

I still prop, partially because it's nice no-variance pay. Feels similar to bonus whoring, except that the additional earn is better than bonus whoring at higher limits, and you have to deal with restrictions.

2nd
Old 03-24-2005, 12:39 AM

I was a prop at party for a couple years.

Pay was not very good there ($15/hour), but I was going to play there anyway. Like one of the replies says, you better be a great shorthanded player because thats what you will be playing the majority of the time.

Im not sure its really worth it. I looked at the UB program but it was way more restrictive than what I was used to at party. The pay is better there. I have a friend (who posts here) that is a prop there and he regularily makes $1500 a week just in prop pay.

The big problem for me is that sites like UB reguire you to play certain hours, which makes very joblike. One of the reasons I chose to do this was I dont like jobs.

Tuco.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:11 AM

Isn't everyone playing at Absolute doing it?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:21 AM

Hey Tuco what is your friend playing? Also how many hours a week is he playing? 1500 a week is huge money, unless you multi-table 15/30 Party. Also does that total include his winrate?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Tuco what is your friend playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if you understood the OP but hes a prop at UB. He plays all levels up to 15/30, as that is as high as props are allowed to play there. Pretty good deal though. I think they get all their rake back and even more for certain games.

Tuco.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:33 AM

Until today I was a prop at Absolutepoker.com. I quit because the props today got news of what amounts to approximately a 30% paycut effective LAST week (yes, you were playing for less last week without knowing it, sorry.) Zero notice was given. This along with the worst software in online poker was enough to convince me to take my game back to the party skins with rakeback. The prop supervisors were outstanding. The software and other management have no clue at all.

AP required us to play at least one game 5 or less handed at all times. Pay was a fixed amound by the hand (at least... until last week it was.)
Old 03-24-2005, 02:02 AM

I was a prop (the original Boss skin).

$10 an hour, basically no restrictions (beyond the one table max).

I loved it. Gave me regular 200-400 a week to boost my BR / pay for university.

Basically though, it depends on the program details, and the management.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Until today I was a prop at Absolutepoker.com. I quit because the props today got news of what amounts to approximately a 30% paycut effective LAST week (yes, you were playing for less last week without knowing it, sorry.)

AP required us to play at least one game 5 or less handed at all times. Pay was a fixed amound by the hand (at least... until last week it was.)

[/ QUOTE ]

What specific changes did they make to lower your pay? I know they were paying something like .22 cents per hand at 5-10 so how is it different now?