Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: When do you call down after being raised on the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe my math is a bit off, but if you 3-bet rather than call down, aren't you spending the same amount of bets? Calling down costs two bets, and so does 3-betting (calling the raise plus raising another bet).

[/ QUOTE ]

It does cost the same. That was just my guess as to why the poster suggested 3 betting. I don't know if its a correct guess...but its a guess nonetheless.

I don't know what the advantages would be to 3 betting. I would love to be enlightened.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, if you 3 bet you can fold to a cap knowing for sure that you are beat or check behind for a "free" showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then the question is how many hands worse then yours are just gonna call the three bet. I only see better hands capping or calling (if they wus out) and hands we beat folding. I don't think enough people would call here with a naked Q thats not AQ for the split. Maybe KQ but the range of hands that call or cap here far outweighs the slim value of the donk that would call a turn 3bet on his KQ checkraise.
It may get us a free showdown my question is if the call a turn 3bet and check the river how many times do we win that showdown. Even spiking an A on the river may not beat the guy who would call a turn 3bet IMHO.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first hand is easy. You fold this PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not atypical to play Ax for half a bet in the SB.

To OP, there are a lot of hands that beat you here, and this is a small pot, so you should fold to this turn raise.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most players will give up with a bluff and possibly fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that this is the opposite of what you want. Why would you want to stop the villian from bluffing into you when you have him crushed?

If villian is overaggressive with draws and must call a 3-bet when he's semi-bluffing (not on this board, but say on a Q932 board where the second diamond came on the turn) then a 3-bet is good - but if he'll check/raise with air, deliberate for a few seconds, make a hesitant call and hope for a river bluff.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Results

Okay here are the results (in white):

Hand 1: <font color="white">He raised on the turn with a pair of Tens. I won with a pair of Aces.</font>

Hand 2: <font color="white">I got check-raised by a set of 8s. He won with 3 8s.</font>
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 1: <font color="white">He raised on the turn with a pair of Tens. I won with a pair of Aces.</font>

Hand 2: <font color="white">I got check-raised by a set of 8s. He won with 3 8s.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the results contradict the forum, but against a lot of players, the advice still stands. Make a note so that you know for next time.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

word. Buddy list the guy who did that with a T. Either way both help the reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the results contradict the forum, but against a lot of players, the advice still stands. Make a note so that you know for next time.

[/ QUOTE ]