Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:46 PM

Default unfluctuation

The way I've been slinking around from the big blind is really crazy in that half my opponents suspect I'm hopeless and the other half are sure of it. But they don't get to see my hand all that often. Or else they'd all be sure.

(In a way, they are right. I do play poker without hope.)

$80-160 at Bay101. The game was four-handed when I got there. I entered on the big blind and I got the ace-king of hearts. Two players limped, the small blind called, I checked.

The flop was Q-T-3, all clubs. Checked around.

The turn was a club. The small blind bet. I folded.

I folded before the flop for two laps after that, including two opportunities to openraise on the button. The next flop I saw was with AK again from the big blind again. UTG raised, the cutoff called, the button folded, and the small blind called. I called with the relevant ace of clubs and the irrelevant king of hearts.

Four players. The flop was 8-3-2 with two clubs. The small blind bet out. I called. Both the others called.

The turn was the five of clubs. The small blind bet, I called, and both the others folded. Headsup now.

The river paired the eight. The small blind checked and I checked. He showed pocket nines.

Tommy
Old 09-12-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: unfluctuation

"(In a way, they are right. I do play poker without hope.)"

nice.

i think youre giving up too much by not raising and reraising AK from the bb in a 4 handed game. and by "you" i mean you not me.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 PM

Why do you continually and knowlingly avoid profitable out of position situations? Every post of yours confuses me.

I ask, genuinely, because I believe that a winning player makes most of his money out of position. Playing in position is generally relatively easy and more straightforward, and I feel that the decisions we make out of position are a greater determinant of our success.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Congrats on getting paired up after I'd suspect many folds.

Without a doubt, you have a knack for using brevity to clarify and put hands and plays into context. I read some of your responses to posts and admire the way you summarize before judging.

Your utter disdain and lack of respect for pre-flop equity is so far against the grain that, considering you're an accepted live playing pro, it deserves respect for taking the position.

It would be funny if there's no live or online pro's who can add clarity to back it up. That makes it you against the tide. Not a reason to abandon, but surely not one to have much faith in.

I'm guessing the best back-up for your position is "If it works for Tommy". That's weak for probably everyone but you.

BTW - If I could pick one song I could play the drums too I'd pick "Won't Get Fooled Again". Arms flailing. Moon was crazy. How about you? I saw Kenny Jones give it a shot and it was weak. That was Moon right? Had to be.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:17 PM

You've been playing too much no-limit.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:36 AM

nevermind, im illiterate. sorry.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:14 AM

I know you are some kind of folk hero around here and all but this is starting to get ridculous. How can you survive in a 4 handed game at that limit where 1/2 of the hands are from the blinds? This is insane and the medical side of me thinks maybe its time to lay off the dope.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:40 AM

"Your utter disdain and lack of respect for pre-flop equity ..."

No utterness here. I don't know what preflop equity is. Is it postflop dependent? In other words, is the preflop equity of AK the same for all players in all games? And is raising with AK from the big blind the best choice for all players in all games at all times?

If you believe it is, then I promise to raise with AK from the big blind for a month and not blame you for the results. :-)

Tommy
Old 09-13-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And is raising with AK from the big blind the best choice for all players in all games at all times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Seriously, it is.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And is raising with AK from the big blind the best choice for all players in all games at all times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Seriously, it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you've just given away a good deal of information every time you're in the BB. I'm sure that a game with a bunch of observant pros won't be able to exploit that.