Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 05:07 PM

Default 109 at 109, what a waste of time

2 weeks ago I made this post and moved to the 109s. If every 2+2er is playing the 55s, I figured I'd play the 109s.

Is this sustainable?

ITM - 33.94%
ROI - 1.00%

Buyins - $11,811
Net - $119

Finishes:
1st - 11
2nd - 13
3rd - 13
4th - 13
5th - 12
6th - 17
7th - 11
8th - 7
9th - 5
10th - 7

I could've mowed grass at a golf course and made more than this.

Thanks to advice from Scuba, I've recently worked out a better schedule at home so I can be pretty sure I can finish a set without being interrupted by a household emergency and have to eat $436 for a set of 109s. I still don't have much time to play....working on that one.

After a decent start, IC5 wanted to sweat me a while and check out the 109s. 90 minutes and $1100 dollars later, I politely asked that he never do that again.

I checked my HH and only found a few glaring errors, no more than I'd find in a sample of winning SnGs. I felt I was bit too aggressive, so I overadjusted and played like a sissy for a few tournies before getting my act together and getting back into positive territory.

So how do the 109s compare to the 30s/50s? Well, based on some advice from Irie, I realized that it doesn't really matter. Some 109s are full of morons, and some are full of sharks, and many have both. Each tournament is different, so picking a strategy beforehand (aggressive or convservative) is silly. Now I just play.

If you really want my opinion, the 109s are tougher than the 50s on average, but it's not a huge leap. I've definately had more games where we are 10 handed at level 4 or 5 than I've seen before. I have more 10th place finishes than I'm used to, but I think only 1 of them happen on level 1.

I haven't see a lot of 2+2er are the 109s. Probably because I'm too lazy to remember your screen names. I've yet to see a "sup bro" in the chat box. This may be due to the fact that the 2+2ers at this level are playing 8+ tables and don't have time for chit-chat.

The only name I recognized was curtains, and I was very dissappointed to have never been able to spite call him in either tournament we were in. Oh well. It's just as well, because I still haven't thought of anything truly witty to say in the chat after I knock him out with J9o.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: 109 at 109, what a waste of time

Very good post PVS. Care to share the advise from Scuba? I too am hampered by lack of time to play. Feel free to PM me if you want.

To your post, I'd say that your ROI will be going up over the next 100 and beyond. Keep the faith and hang in there.

GTR
Old 05-30-2005, 05:22 PM

Come back to the $55s. I want to limp AA in MP Lev 4 on your BB. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 05:28 PM

I suggest, for motivations purposes, to find an actual golf course "horticulturist", and challenge him to a earning war. Set a timeframe, and hrs/week. Drop by the course frequently to harrass him. Make point of Hitting liners of the tee @ the range so you whomp his little armourer kart when hes scooping range balls. Keep scroecard of 109s performance, using bogey for OOTM, par for 3rd, birdie for 2nd, eagle for win. Pwnage of self in SnG is double bogie, 2 stroke penatly, and chug a beer.

Let Mr. Greeskeeper guy think he has a fighting chance. Bet him cold cash on who makes more next week. Winner wins losers payday. Tell him you made $200. He says lol sucka i made $250 last week..... you then pause, look inquisitely towards the sky, and nod your head slowly. You reach into back pocket to pull out wallet, then stop with a jerk. RAKEBACK BITCH !!! Pwn greenskeepers paystub. Yell SHIP IT.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell him you made $200. He says lol sucka i made $250 last week..... you then pause, look inquisitely towards the sky, and nod your head slowly. You reach into back pocket to pull out wallet, then stop with a jerk. RAKEBACK BITCH !!! Pwn greenskeepers paystub. Yell SHIP IT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually laughed out loud
nh.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:40 PM

What is your handle or are you anonymous?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let Mr. Greeskeeper guy think he has a fighting chance. Bet him cold cash on who makes more next week. Winner wins losers payday. Tell him you made $200. He says lol sucka i made $250 last week..... you then pause, look inquisitely towards the sky, and nod your head slowly. You reach into back pocket to pull out wallet, then stop with a jerk. RAKEBACK BITCH !!! Pwn greenskeepers paystub. Yell SHIP IT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spit out my iced tea after reading that part of your post I was laughing so hard.

vnh
Old 05-30-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very good post PVS. Care to share the advise from Scuba? I too am hampered by lack of time to play. Feel free to PM me if you want.

To your post, I'd say that your ROI will be going up over the next 100 and beyond. Keep the faith and hang in there.

GTR

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to imply that I'm overly disappointed with these results. I expected an adjustment period. I think I was 0-for-12 when I first tried the 50s.

Scuba's advice....use poker winnings to buy stuff for wife. Of course, she has no clue how much I make here, so I can just buy her an ipod and she's happy. I probably would've had to buy or pay for this stuff anyway, so it's really not costing me anything. Scuba=genius.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scuba's advice....use poker winnings to buy stuff for wife. Of course, she has no clue how much I make here, so I can just buy her an ipod and she's happy. I probably would've had to buy or pay for this stuff anyway, so it's really not costing me anything. Scuba=genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

PVS, you practice table selection at all? At the 55s or the 109s? 109s is a little harder, since you're just starting out of course.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

PVS, you practice table selection at all? At the 55s or the 109s? 109s is a little harder, since you're just starting out of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zero table selection. I suck at most things like that. I'm really trying to take better notes at the 109s, so hopefully it will pay off.

Right now, I only have enough notes to occasionally help with seat selection, but not for table selection. I guess I need to start thinking about that.