Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: AK post flop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You think I should have laid this down pre-flop with those pot odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read two threads today that you participated in and you mentioned pot odds in both of them.
I believe you may be thinking about SNGs the wrong way.

If you stick your money in to hit a flush draw, you will lose two tournaments out of three, whatever the pot odds.
Doubling your stack does not double your EV except for in a few specific situations.

Can I recommend you play around with the ICM (See FAQ for details) and see the effect of various things happening (Start with someone doubling through first hand, and then invent some of your own.)

Edited: Blatantly stupid error by me removed.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori, I really appreciate the suggestion and do plan to study ICM more in the near future. Are you suggesting that pot odds are irrelevant at all times in SNGs? In my book they of course continue to play an important role, although only in certain situations and always taking into account the more important areas of context.

Lori, how would you have played this hand pre-flop?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:14 AM

It was just a suggestion based on two posts. Your latter comment shows I was probably incorrect.

Personally I think you should push or fold preflop depending on what you think your opponent has. I'll take a coinflip here as the pot is probably large enough (Without ICMing it) and I'll probably push. A call doesn't do much other than invite your opponent to hit free cards on the occasions when he is behind.
You'll hit the flop 1/3rd of the time, and lose 1/2 your stack the rest of the time (Unless you're going to pull some kind of funky stop go if you really think he has a small pocket pair.... a read I'd find very hard to make here)
As a very rough rule of thumb, I don't like to call off more of my stack than the percentage of the time I will take down the pot..... the obvious exception being when I choose to go all in.

Lori
Old 08-27-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was just a suggestion based on two posts. Your latter comment shows I was probably incorrect.

Personally I think you should push or fold preflop depending on what you think your opponent has. I'll take a coinflip here as the pot is probably large enough (Without ICMing it) and I'll probably push. A call doesn't do much other than invite your opponent to hit free cards on the occasions when he is behind.
You'll hit the flop 1/3rd of the time, and lose 1/2 your stack the rest of the time (Unless you're going to pull some kind of funky stop go if you really think he has a small pocket pair.... a read I'd find very hard to make here)
As a very rough rule of thumb, I don't like to call off more of my stack than the percentage of the time I will take down the pot..... the obvious exception being when I choose to go all in.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Lori, for the great advice. I think I'm starting to "get it" here and am now in favor of pushing instead of calling, particularly at an $11 where villain's range is pretty wide.