Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Any NYC Poker Lawyers out there?

You've all heard about the EV bust last night. I was in it. I was in the tourney, had just gotten heads up, and had a significant chip lead [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, they obviously seized all the cash in the bank to use as evidence (yeah, right). It's illegal to profit from running a game. It isn't illegal to play. Since it isn't illegal to play, and the bank is mostly make up of money owed the players, I would think the players would have a reasonable legal claim to the cash, once the trials of the people arrested have been settled.

However, this would require a few things. One would be that each player would have to be able to prove how much he's owed. This is spelled out by his chips. The cops were counting peoples chips. I'm sure after they processed out all of the player, the swept up all the chips and bagged them for evidence. If the cops could be forced to count each players chips, and give the player a receipt, then the player could file a claim for his money.

The cops are not going to want to do this. It would make more work for them, and it would prevent them from pocketing some portion of the cash. Since this would enable the players to possibly recover their cash, this might make these raids less lucrative to both the city and the individual cops.

Would it be possible to sue the city to force them to do this? Is there some pissed off poker playing lawyer out there who'd be willing to do this (especially considering that every third guy in these clubs is a lawyer)?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Any NYC Poker Lawyers out there?

[ QUOTE ]
Is there some pissed off poker playing lawyer out there who'd be willing to do this (especially considering that every third guy in these clubs is a lawyer)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you paying for their time? If so, there are a few here who will do the work for you. If not, don't bother asking for obvious reasons.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 09:07 PM

To be honest, no. If I was, I'd just call my lawyer. But I bet alot of lawyers have lost money in these busts, and maybe there's one out there just pissed off enough to do something about it.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, no. If I was, I'd just call my lawyer. But I bet alot of lawyers have lost money in these busts, and maybe there's one out there just pissed off enough to do something about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet they wouldn't take the advice of someone who has 3 posts under their belt. Think about it.... spend some time here before you go asking someone to invest a tremendous amount of time for free when they could be billing hourly for their firm.

I know for a fact that more than one of NYC's clubs had a lawyer as their partner in some capacity. If they aren't trying to change the laws view on poker, then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:36 PM

Sorry to hijack, but are you the fellow who came to the final table with that gigantic chip lead? I'm the guy who busted in 7th soon after my 77 lost that big multiway pot to the QQ.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Yeah, that was me. I remember that hand. The older guy won that, IIRC. He got third. I finally busted him out. He was out, but didn't have a chance to cash out before the bust.

I remember there was a QQ, AJ, and an Ax. Which one were you?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack, but are you the fellow who came to the final table with that gigantic chip lead? I'm the guy who busted in 7th soon after my 77 lost that big multiway pot to the QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2005, 10:03 PM

Am I barking up the wrong tree, possibly. Then again, if I'm not, it might be worthwhile.

How many posts I have under my belt is not particularly relevent. If you're a lawyer and can say with some degree of expertise whether or not what I'm suggesting makes any legal sense, than do so. If not, leave it to someone who is. I'm sure there are at least a few lawyers on this board.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet they wouldn't take the advice of someone who has 3 posts under their belt. Think about it.... spend some time here before you go asking someone to invest a tremendous amount of time for free when they could be billing hourly for their firm.

I know for a fact that more than one of NYC's clubs had a lawyer as their partner in some capacity. If they aren't trying to change the laws view on poker, then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was me. I remember that hand. The older guy won that, IIRC. He got third. I finally busted him out. He was out, but didn't have a chance to cash out before the bust.

I remember there was a QQ, AJ, and an Ax. Which one were you?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EP pushed about 5k with A6o, I overpushed 77 in MP with about 10k, old guy called in SB with QQ for about 9k, BB called with AJ for I forget how much.

old guy was pretty tight but seemed like one of the half dozen better players in the tournament.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Evidence

I have been saying just that for months...that the players need to be the ones to make a stink about all this so that the cops stop coming...the only money that the cops should be legally able to sieze is the 4-5 per half that is collected (not saying that is right...just that that is the only evidence as per what they are saying and charging)
The vice cops are not taking the chips by the way...
Old 10-27-2005, 11:35 PM

You are soliciting a lawyer on this board to do pro bono work for you? I think even the poker loving lawyers on this board would a) find more worthy causes (yes I would like to see poker in some way legalized as much as anyone, but some poor family being victimized somewhere is definitely more imporant) or b) would have a tough time selling their firm/partners that this would be a good use of time and resources.