Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Annoying rare stud situation, 10/20

My opponent in this hand didn't seem to be getting too out of line. When he came back over the top of me on 4th street, I figured we had the same hand and I didn't want to contribute any more to my variance. Lemme know what you'd do differently.

Your Pal, BeerMoney

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1.00, Bring-In $3.00

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises

4th Street

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises

5th Street

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Old 03-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Annoying rare stud situation, 10/20

i would have smooth called the first raise on 3rd to give my hand more deception. But other than that I would probably play it the same way.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:48 PM

Third street is fine. On fourth, I think it's apparent that you are up against the other two Aces, so I'd slow down, since you're behind. Beyond that, I think you have to call it down.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 AM

Can anyone fold on 7th street? I dont know if I could but I think there is a very strong arguement for mucking it on 7th and saving a big bet. If this player isnt a maniac what do you think you can possibly beat on the end? I would probably call but I am not very good at stud-hi and have the normal super calling station tendencies.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:09 AM

Third street its crucial of course to make it three bets trying to get the 8 out of the middle, so well done. If you were sure it was going to be heads up a case could be made waiting until fifth to raise. On fourth I wouldnt be worried about your variance but the larger fact that your outkicked here. It appears he has the other aces so no need pumping in more money. As for fifth and sixth what can you do but call along. Seventh your probably donating, but I rarely fold in this type of situation. But thats just me, and as you know I'm a total calling station on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike Emery
Old 03-21-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone fold on 7th street? I dont know if I could but I think there is a very strong arguement for mucking it on 7th and saving a big bet. If this player isnt a maniac what do you think you can possibly beat on the end? I would probably call but I am not very good at stud-hi and have the normal super calling station tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I don't make "good folds" on 7th street when there is $256 in the pot.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Give me an over sidecard to opponent and I'll pound it 'til he makes an open pair or three bets a big street. As Michael said, the fact you're outkicked is critical early.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM

I'd also be worried about being fastplayed by JJAJ. So definitely just call down.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Results

At Show down:

Hero: A A 5 4 T 9 7___calls
Seat 8: Q T A J 8 6 K___bets

Opponent shows rivered gut-shot broadway. BeerMoney's shocked. He never had the aces. I'm not sure why I believed him. It was a strange hand, and I was somewhat tilty after it.

I had never encountered this opponent before, and I later saw him playing 3 stud tables, 2 10/20's and 1 20/40. I imagine he won't be on too much longer.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Results

oh man that sucks.

that is very disheartening