Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 05:40 PM

Default A bluff that worked, $20/$40 online

I don't know how interesting this hand actually is, but I really enjoyed my play. Seat 7 is loose and aggressive, both here and also in holdem where he sees ~60% of flops. We had butt heads a few times as I like to be the loose aggressive one at stud [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

7 Card Stud High (20/40), ante 2.

3rd Street

Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bring-ins (5)__calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__completes
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls

4th Street

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__bets
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__checks__calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__checks__calls

5th Street

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bets
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__folds

6th Street

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bets__calls

River

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__bets
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx__checks__folds
Old 03-12-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: A bluff that worked, $20/$40 online

nicely done
Old 03-12-2005, 06:19 PM

ni han
Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 PM

Awesome, did you show?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:04 PM

I probably just limp on third. If the ante were $3, I'd like the completion more.

I don't think that the sixth street raise is worthwhile. I'm glad it worked out, but I don't think that the other guy will fold, either on sixth or seventh, often enough to make it profitable. Obviously, the free showdown isn't worth a whole lot if you miss.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Finally, a real critique.

I think the completion is clear. Why do you dislike it? Everyone's doorcards are low, my 2-flush is completely live, over half the players have dead doorcards in addition to being low. Even though I'm in early position I think I have some chance to steal the ante right away, and even more chance to get called but then steal the pot later.

I think you are right about 6th street. If somehow the player were tight but also could be in the hand without real values, it might make sense, but this guy is going to call too often. And at the time I think that I thought free showdown could be good if I caught a big pair at the end, but in reality he's not going to have just the one pair nearly often enough to make it worth it.

Luckily, the reason I've always said I play in that game is that even though I'm not great at stud, a lot of the other players are even worse.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 PM

Default And thanks for the response! NT

nt
Old 03-14-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I'm in early position I think I have some chance to steal the ante right away

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be nit picky here. But ::

You got 3 callers. You might have had a decent shot a stealing the antes. This hand might just be a strange example. But the number of callers suggests that the game was loose enough that the completion wasn't going to be effective very often.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:27 PM

Bartholow,

I love the way you played the hand. I agree with the other posters it would probably back fire against most players. In this instance though you beat him at his own game of being more aggressive than him. Also having a powerful board helps. He had the case 9 so you didn't have to worry about trips matching his door card. Great play.

Paul

6th Street

Hero: (9 T) J Q A 7__raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9 K 7 9__bets__call
Old 03-14-2005, 05:48 PM

Reasons I dislike your completion on third street:

1) You are in early position.

2) There is a very loose player in the game.

3) The ante is on the low side.

4) If you are called, there is a good chance that your hand will be doo-doo on fourth street.

5) While you do have a couple of over-cards to the board, they're not that great. I would be more enthusiastic if you had KQJ.

6) Less importantly, a couple of Nines are out. It would be worse if there were Queens, Eights, Jacks, or Tens gone, but pair cards are still important.

7) As jon pointed out, you got three callers. It has to be a pretty tight game to steal from early position, and while one hand doesn't mean a whole lot, this does suggest that the game wasn't tight enough that you could reasonably have expected to steal.

Now if the loose player is the sort who will call bets on third and fourth but routinely fold on fifth, then maybe you have a decent opportunity. I still think it's better to limp and see what happens.

On sixth, if the other guy has two pair, he's calling you down. If he makes two pair on the river, he's calling you down. It worked out this time, but I think it was a -EV play.