Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Bad/stupid/improbable scenes of other wise good movies

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you'll read the link I provided, it gives a range of terminal velocities from various sources.

Try not to be so condescending and insulting in your replies. You have trouble pulling it off, and when you're wrong, it makes you look pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why everyone else hasnt figured it out by now, but Daryn is simply a giant troll. Stop encouraging him and maybe he will go away again.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was right in what i said, it's very clear. the statement i quoted of his was incorrect. anyone that actually knows what they are talking about would agree. even patrick who hates me would agree that i was right and he was wrong (about that exact statement he made).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I ever say you were wrong?

You're slipping dude...

[/ QUOTE ]

usually trolling is just saying stuff to elicit some response. i didn't know you could troll while also being correct.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
like i said before, the situation is very unclear. are you saying the plane is pointed straight down, WITH its engines firing? in other words the plane's thrust is actually pushing it vertically downward towards the earth? why would that be happening?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, so you decided to jump down another poster's throat without having any frame of reference. And then pick out parts of my posts without understanding the context, leaving you without a proper frame of reference again. Gotcha.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what's the situation? nobody jumped down anybody's throat.

here's what was said: OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE BOND FELL FASTER THAN THE PLANE! LOL!

and i said, why wouldn't he fall faster?

then swede accuses me of "trying to be witty" (i still don't understand his comment)

i then accused him of trying to be stupid, which in retrospect was not fair, clearly he wasn't trying.

if someone had just accurately depicted the situation, which i am still unclear on, the whole discussion could be resolved quite quickly.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
like i said before, the situation is very unclear. are you saying the plane is pointed straight down, WITH its engines firing? in other words the plane's thrust is actually pushing it vertically downward towards the earth? why would that be happening?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, so you decided to jump down another poster's throat without having any frame of reference. And then pick out parts of my posts without understanding the context, leaving you without a proper frame of reference again. Gotcha.

EDIT: Whatever, not like its this important. Sorry for the hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

pick out parts of your post? you said:

The fastest Bond can fall is, by definition, his terminal velocity. This is pretty much a constant for humans in free-flight.

which is just incorrect.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM

You're right. I meant that the terminal velocity of Bond is more or less insignificant compared to the speed of the plane, since the plane is so much faster. That's not at all the same as "the terminal velocity of Bond is constant."

I tried to clarify later, but I guess I didn't do a good job, or you skimmed/ignored it.

For reference, Swede was saying that, in the film, the plane's engine is running while its pointed downwards.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fastest Bond can fall is, by definition, his terminal velocity. This is pretty much a constant for humans in free-flight.

which is just incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said fastest, which means he is not always at that speed
Old 08-29-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which is just incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said fastest, which means he is not always at that speed

[/ QUOTE ]

another country heard from. the statement is incorrect. let's get past it instead of trying to prove it's somehow accurate.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's what was said: OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE BOND FELL FASTER THAN THE PLANE! LOL!

then swede accuses me of "trying to be witty" (i still don't understand his comment)

i then accused him of trying to be stupid, which in retrospect was not fair, clearly he wasn't trying.

if someone had just accurately depicted the situation, which i am still unclear on, the whole discussion could be resolved quite quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This prolly has a lot to do with the fact that you spend most of your time trying to make smart ass replys to posts, to elicit arguments so that you can work on your inferiority complex

So when someone sees you make a reply that says "why wouldn't he fall faster?" They don't interpret it as "I havent seen the movie, I don't get what you are talking about, could you explain the situation to me so that I may understand". They see it as you once again just making jackassy remarks and trying to provoke arguments. Which explains the responses you got.

hope this helps
Old 08-29-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This prolly has a lot to do with the fact that you spend most of your time trying to make smart ass replys to posts, to elicit arguments so that you can work on your inferiority complex

So when someone sees you make a reply that says "why wouldn't he fall faster?" They don't interpret it as "I havent seen the movie, I don't get what you are talking about, could you explain the situation to me so that I may understand". They see it as you once again just making jackassy remarks and trying to provoke arguments. Which explains the responses you got.

hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw it as a simple question.

i don't try to make "smart ass replies" out of the blue. i read the post, and was like, wtf.. i don't see why he wouldn't fall faster than the plane, then i posed my question.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said "pretty much." When you compare the range of speeds for a human to the range of speed for the plane, its fairly narrow. In other words, Bond pointing his body like an arrow will not result in significant gains on the plane.

Now, with that out of the way: do you still maintain that a plane cannot travel towards the ground faster than Bond's terminal velocity?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The plan was accidentally heading down the runway which ended at a cliff. There was no one driving but the props and engine were running.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Greedo shoots first in the Special Edition

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
thats the version ive seen. btw, what the f does it mean? im not a star wars nut, so i never understood.