Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Lucky run as a beginner ... when is it time to quit?

I never played poker before, but I got interested in 7 card stud from watching a colleague play. I lost about 200BB playing $.5/$1 tables and decided to quit. I played terribly. However, the interest was lit, and after learning a little bit more, I gave it another go about a month later. It is now 3 weeks into my second try and I'm ahead about 330BB on the $3/$6 tables after paying back my previous failure.

However, I've started going downhill. I'm down about 130BB from my all time high of 460BB. If I owned a stock that went down more than 25% like that, I'd probably sell. Do you think it is time to quit while I'm (still) ahead?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Lucky run as a beginner ... when is it time to quit?

[ QUOTE ]
If I owned a stock that went down more than 25% like that, I'd probably sell. Do you think it is time to quit while I'm (still) ahead?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your thinking like this - you do no know enough about poker in general. Quit now or learn more about the game.

If your a winning player your poker BR should not be compared directly to a stock. Unless you can find stocks with 1000% returns yearly.

Orange
Old 02-11-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it is time to quit while I'm (still) ahead?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not willing to study the game, yes, quit and enjoy your profits!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Welcome to the boards.

Study, study, study. Then play and study, play and study.

The actual answer to when to leave the tables isn't predicated on how much money you have. Assuming you're playing at a stake that's right for your bankroll, leaving the table should depend on whether or not you think you have an edge on your opponents. This is primarily determined by the skill of your opponents, but also on other factors such as your own fatigue, tilt level and distraction level.

Good luck, play well.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never played poker before, but I got interested in 7 card stud from watching a colleague play. I lost about 200BB playing $.5/$1 tables and decided to quit. I played terribly. However, the interest was lit, and after learning a little bit more, I gave it another go about a month later. It is now 3 weeks into my second try and I'm ahead about 330BB on the $3/$6 tables after paying back my previous failure.

However, I've started going downhill. I'm down about 130BB from my all time high of 460BB. If I owned a stock that went down more than 25% like that, I'd probably sell. Do you think it is time to quit while I'm (still) ahead?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only know a little about stud, but I know it can be a pretty swingy game.

I don't thin the choice is between quitting and playing. But should be between sturying more and trying to win at your current level or studying more and playing a lowere level.

Either way study more.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Why not step down to a lower level? You've made back your losses (a very risky thing to attempt, btw), so move back to microlimits where you can really learn the game. Jumping into 3/6 after you went bust at .5/1 is crazy, so now that you've gambled and made your money back, take it easy, and learn the game. The players at microlimits will be much worse and you won't kill your bankroll nearly as quickly. Once you really learn the skills necessary you can slowly move back up.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:35 PM

Time to quit (at least at the 3/6 level) is now.

It sounds like you're experiencing wild, wild swings, which is the hallmark of a gambler, not a solid and tight poker player.

So enjoy your winnings, back away from the table, pick up Theory of Poker (Sklansky/Malmuth), Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players (Sklansky/Malmuth), 7 Card Stud (Roy West), and go from there. When you finish working through them, then start at the micro-limits and test your skills. Learn from your results, study more, and repeat as necessary. Once you've established a winning record at the lower limits, then -- and only then -- should you consider moving up (and even then, only if you are properly bankrolled).

So for now, enjoy your winnings. And your first assignment is : hang onto them.

q/q
Old 02-12-2005, 12:35 AM

Don't quit until I've had a shot at your stack. What
site are you playing at? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Thanks

After losing more on Friday, I've decided to quit. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Thanks

For God's sake. Have you ever thought of just enjoying yourself, say if after 1000 hours play you're $1000 down, you've taken part in an enjoyable pastime thats cost you $1 an hour. Think of another hobby thats so mentally stimulating and yet so cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I don't play to lose money nor break even, but i do enjoy playing. Why do you feel the need to analyse everything to hell, you sound like the kind of player thats going to come out ok in the long term, in the meantime enjoy while your learning.