Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 11:36 AM

Default AA hand against a VTAG.

I generally hate AA posts, but I thought this hand was interesting on the river. This player was 12.44/6.97/2.x over 250 hands. And had been quiet up until this point.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (8 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls...

Call, fold, raise?

- Jim
Old 12-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: AA hand against a VTAG.

Jim,
I agree with you, this is fairly interesting. My inital instinct was a raise on the river, but...

If BB has QQ or KK the turn/river line is horrible. If BB has J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] etc. he played preflop very oddly. AQ, IMO is also played poorly, by BB, preflop and on the turn (as is KQ).

66 and 55 and other wierd flushes are the only other hands that beat you. In other words, if BB has the best hand I think he played his hand strangely (read: poorly) on most streets. This leads me to believe BB has AK (maybe the other AA)and a raise is reasonable.

Having said that, the river may be a case of hero getting 3bet when beat, and almost never getting called when ahead. Someone with better math could fill in the numbers.

Just my 2 cents,
ts
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 PM

You have to raise the flop. SB could have a ton of hands with 4-5 outs here that you want out.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling down is too weak. BB's lead on the flop after you capped preflop is curious.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:21 PM

I mean, it's a weird spot but i don't think it's that interesting. His line thus far is too weird for you to fold and too weird for you to raise. Calling is by far the best option.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 PM

This flop felt like a way ahead way/behind when he led into me. And I definitely don't want to give him an excuse to fold if he's behind.

- Jim
Old 12-24-2005, 10:06 PM

I thought the river was probably a good spot for a raise. It's a safe raise and my opponent will probably only call with a hand that I beat and 3-bet with everything else. The crux is how aften am I getting 3-bet vs. him calling and not folding a losing hand.

- Jim
Old 12-24-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This flop felt like a way ahead way/behind when he led into me. And I definitely don't want to give him an excuse to fold if he's behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, there's a third player in the hand.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
He is way ahead way behind for the most part. But there's a 3rd guy in the hand drawing live, and BB's most likely way behind hand is AK which I doubt he's folding.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
He is way ahead way behind for the most part. But there's a 3rd guy in the hand drawing live, and BB's most likely way behind hand is AK which I doubt he's folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if he has JJ or something, he's not putting much more in anyway (I don't know that he'd bet here anyway). Of the hands you beat AK is most likely, and he ain't going nowhere, and you got a third guy in who could well have 4 or 5 outs (pair/gutshot), so it'd be nice to give him a chance to fold.