Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-20-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Will a good SS Hold\'em player help me?

Quote:After a loss with AK an old man told me not to raise pre-flop with that hand because it is only %10 to win against 8 people. You can't get that experience online. Despite my losses I had a blast for the majority of the time.

Taking advice from a stranger on a live table may or may not be a good idea. In this case you are making a mistake, but don't seem to mind since you had a "blast". Get your priorities straight - do you want to win money, or just have a good time?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't feel I am in denial and I am trying to be as introspective as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one in denial feels they are. Introspection has not helped you, it's gotten you where you are. What you need now is absorption. If you'll stop replying/defending and absorb what's being posted you can absorb. After you've absorbed then you can go back and use introspection. (Jeeze, I think I've just confused myself.)

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I have not really said it but I am taking in what you are all saying. I said I was desperate didn't I. You must understand that I have a competetive nature and I enjoy B&M poker so much that I have a strong desire to win there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe your competitive nature and enjoyment is outweighing your good judgement. You express yourself well. You're not dumb.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After a loss with AK an old man told me not to raise pre-flop with that hand because it is only %10 to win against 8 people.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the sake of clarity: You raised after 7 limpers? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. AK has a significant equity edge no matter how many players have limped in.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes. AK has a significant equity edge no matter how many players have limped in.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, duh. tnx 4 the lessun. i bin wunderin' abouddat.

I asked because I wanted to know if you truly meant you "raised" as opposed to "re-raised;" a common mistake/mis-use of the term, I often see in postings.

I'll not bother you again.

g/l
Old 11-20-2005, 02:12 PM

Play drunken 3/6 holdem (6-8 to the flop, 4 to showdown) the same as PL Omaha...loose preflop /tight postflop.

Dont suck postflop...

No way you should be bleeding chips like that.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:44 PM

the best advice given here is to stop playing at ameristar. Im also in the kc area, and have played there several times. Im a fairly strong winner in most online mid limit games, and still am barely ahead playing there. Essentially, you are losing a big bet on almost every pot you win (rake, jp drop, and toke) and that doesnt include the .16BB you are losing everytime the nice lady brings you a water. I know live play is appealing, but you should use it almost exlcusively as a release or escape from online play, which is much more lucrative not only in reduced rake, but also in external costs (gas, tips, food). In addition, you can play at least two tables, meaning you should be able to increase your hourly earn without increasing you ROR to much.

Also, while i havent seen you play at all, im willing to bet you are giving action far too much post flop when you are beat. Given the already high cost of just sitting at the table, even one bad call an hour can devestate your winrate.

If you arent willing to play online, theres not many other options for you. The occasional 6/12 kill that runs is a little better, but would require more than youre probably willing to put into a new roll. I would follow the advice given above, except i would deposit 200-ish into party, playing the 1/2 game. In addition, by playing online you can more easily track your hands using pokertracker, and its far easier to show your hands to others here on the forum.

peace

john nickle
Old 11-20-2005, 02:44 PM

Look bro i don't want to flame you, thats just pointless and makes you more likly to ignore my advice.

You think your playing "winning poker". What tells you this?

You're playing LOSING POKER, 450BB+ Loss tells me this.

Now if you're going to continue to be in denial and fund the live players $3/6 holidays then feel free.

If you want to get good at poker, following my advice and start playing Limit hold'em at .05/.10. If this hurts you're ego then play .10/.20... and if you want to play higher after losing $3200 you're stupid.

Infact, if you think your so good load up 4 tables play for 4hours and see if your winning at the .05/.10.

Royal Vegas will give you $10 for signing up i think(they may have cancel this offer).

If you don't want to take my advice, then when your down another 150BB's but "Enjoy playing live" then don't post asking for help.

Take your $50 that you're donating to whoever gives you advice/analyses your hands and cash it into play 0.05/.10 limit games.

After all, you won't take the advice unless its what you want to hear it seems.

You seem to be fairly logical and your posts dont portray you as an idiot so hopefully you follow the advice given. If not, then have fun at B&M.... Better get a weekend job to pay for your fun though.

Ill check this thread again in a bit to see what response you've given. i dont like to see anyone who actually wants help to suffer more loses to gambling but you can't help the helpless.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:26 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After a loss with AK an old man told me not to raise pre-flop with that hand because it is only %10 to win against 8 people. You can't get that experience online. Despite my losses I had a blast for the majority of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, not only are you not accepting help from a poster who is only trying to give you good advice, you're proving him right. The mere fact that you're shocked you lost with AK tells me that luck has nothing to do with your situation.
And you say you play S&G online? Well, unless they're fixed limit sit n go's this isn't helping your limit game. If you truly cared about improving your game, then stop being in denial and actually listen to some of the advice given to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont be such a presumptuous douche
Old 11-20-2005, 03:43 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

usually im one to jump onto the bandwagon of making rude comments to these kinds of posts, but i think this is a legitimate one. there are a few problems. the most important one is that youre probably not playing that well. when ssh first came out, there were a ton of people coming on here and claiming the advice is flawed. it was clear from reading the hand posts that they were just misapplying his good advice. poker is not the kind of game where you can study real hard and expect good results immediately. i think being in college makes it tougher because we are so used to getting results roughly proportionate to the amount of effort we put in. you need to log as many hands as possible to get experience, which is what youre lacking. actual experience will get you better a lot quicker than reading ssh again.

to get this experience you really need to play online. i understand you find playing online a lot less fun than playing live. i think everyone does. but online play is like a chore for the priviledge of getting to play live. you build your roll a lot faster so when you do go play live you can play 30/60 or 100/200 or whatever. that is a lot more fun than playing 3/6. youre also paying a higher rake live so its hard to make as much money. you can make maybe $20/hr playing 3/6 live but probably upwards of $60 or 70 playing 3/6 online. so you will make money faster and you will accelerate your growth at the cost of having less fun for now.

also, from a statistical standpoint, it is possible for you to be playing winning poker. most kill games ive played tend to be kill more often than not so youre really playing a 5/10ish game rather than 3/6. you lost around 320 BB now. that is possible that you are a very slight winner and had a run like that. clearly you cant be crushing the game, which you ought to be able to do if youre playing good poker. so if you are very unlucky, like 99th percentile unlucky, it's possible you are actually a small winner.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing LOSING POKER, 450BB+ Loss tells me this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3-6 kill game with a $3 rake it's very possible to lose $3200. Yes, he could be a losing player, but just simply looking at his loss in this game isn't enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Now if you're going to continue to be in denial and fund the live players $3/6 holidays then feel free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever played live 3-6? You think this is full of sharks and pros? Please. It's nothing like online 3-6. In fact, with a kill game it's likely a very gravy game even with the high rake. Live 3-6 is also very easily replenishable should one go on a bad streak. It's a learning limit just like live 4-8. No one is really playing live 4-8/3-6 to make a living.

About the only thing I agree with is playing the micros online until he feels he's winning and gains some confidence, among other things.

Btw...'Live' teaches you alot that you can't learn online. Even at the low limits. The hands per hour are so reduced compared to online that it's like the micros online in some respects. You also have alot more time between hands to analyze stuff and think about one's play.

Based on your response, it doesn't seem like you've ever played live LL holdem before.

b