Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Ethical concern

Ran into a matter of ethics today while playing an $11 SnG on Party. We were 4 handed, the 3rd place stack raised everyone out of the pot twice when the short stack was all-in, and lost both hands. The large stack and I both typed "wtf?". I get a beat laid on me and still have about 330 (bb is 300) chips left. I'm in the BB, chip leader is in the SB, instead of putting me in, he says "this is for you", or something along those lines, and folds to me. Obviously, this isn't fair to the other short stack.

Now, I didn't have time to protest, so what should I have done?

Assume that the the small stack was going out anyways (at this point he was all-in on the next hand due to some donk plays) and I am not the one who made the fold?

Let myself get blinded out and cede the game?

--propaganda
Old 08-10-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Ethical concern

[ QUOTE ]
Ran into a matter of ethics today while playing an $11 SnG on Party. We were 4 handed, the 3rd place stack raised everyone out of the pot twice when the short stack was all-in, and lost both hands. The large stack and I both typed "wtf?". I get a beat laid on me and still have about 330 chips left. I'm in the BB, chip leader is in the SB, instead of putting me in, he says "this is for you", or something along those lines, and folds to me. Obviously, this isn't fair to the other short stack.

Now, I didn't have time to protest, so what should I have done?

Assume that the the small stack was going out anyways (at this point he was all-in on the next hand due to some donk plays) and I am not the one who made the fold?

Let myself get blinded out and cede the game?

--propaganda

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. You aren't responsible for what other players do.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:02 PM

its really the other guy whos being unethical. I dont think cedeing the game makes any sense since its not like u were guaranteed to lose- you still could have gotten 3rd or even first.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:09 PM

I guess, thinking about it, that I couldn't have let myself get blinded out, but I could have called the all-in that he busted on, but I would've finished in 3rd anyways as I had more chips.

Thanks for the replies, I just folded the next hand and took 3rd but was concerned that by not trying to make it more "sporting", that I was somehow at least partially responsible for the unethical action.
-propaganda
Old 08-10-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The large stack and I both typed "wtf?"

[/ QUOTE ]

you could argue this is unethical.

taking the money that BB folds to you is not. throwing the game on purpose would be idiotic.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM

thank you schwza
Old 08-10-2005, 06:12 PM

On the surface, it may seem strange, but is actually a fairly common play (read: the correct way to win) to keep the short-stack alive when on the bubble if you are the chip leader. This works especially well when the shortie is to your left (for obvious reasons).

Tough to say if he was just a donk dumping chips to you to be "nice" or if his fold was meant to keep you in the game so he could rape the other stack's blinds the next two orbits.

Nothing unethical about it. If this doesn't make sense to you..... never mind. SMcF