View Poll Results: Which movie?
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow 1 2.04%
Bad News Bears 1 2.04%
Wedding Crashers 43 87.76%
Dukes of Hazzard 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Raising the max with a vulnerable nut hand , 1 card to come

I'm running across this situation fairly often. Hit a nut straight (Broadway) or nut flush on fourth street. An opponent bets into me. Should I:
1. Raise the max even if I commit my entire stack
or
2. Just call the bet with the idea of putting the rest in on the river if the hand is still the nuts (the board does not pair.)
I have mostly done the first choice but it does get quite expensive when the board pairs. I would still think 1 is the best choice. Anyone disagree?
This assumes you have no redraws either to a full house tourself.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Raising the max with a vulnerable nut hand , 1 card to come

Keep getting your money in with the best of it and you will come out ahead in the long run. Giving free cards or pricing in draws is going to get you killed.

The harsh reality of pushing 70/30 or 80/20 edges is that you will lose 20-30% of the time. You either have to find a way to deal with the variance or take up a different game.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:03 PM

This depends on the read of your opponents. If you think you are tied with Villain, then you have an excellent opportunity for a post-oak bluff. Flat call and raise the river. I wouldn't try that play if you are playing $100 or lower though, except against "good" players.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:27 PM

I'd answer this except there's such a big difference between having the nut flush and the nut straight (even if it's the broadway).

Nut flushes can't be split and they only have to worry about a paired board river (and the rare str8 flush - but, as I said, that's rare). There is no such thing as a weak nut flush on the turn. These hands can be slowplayed occasionally on the turn against the right opponents, especially if you have loose callers left to act behind you.

Naked braodway straights however are simply the most dangerous nut hands you can possibly hold. They split more than any other straight (because more people play KJTx than 865x). If the river is another broadway card, you'll either almost always split or get beat by a full house. Especially if there are two of a suit on a board, this is the most common way to get freerolled. If I have good re-draws or am short stacked I'll usually push. If I'm deep, naked, and OOP I'm nervous as all hell.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:32 PM

If I can shove my entire stack in with the nuts on the turn, I'll usually do it. Likewise, if my opponent has a small stack, I'll usually put him in in that situation.

On the other hand, if the pot is small and/or the money relatively deep, I'll consider calling depending on my read of opponent in order to mix up my play some.

Position, number of opponents, and stack sizes make all the difference.