Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 01:13 AM

Default 3/6 QQ

Villain in this hand has played exactly one hand against me, one where he re-raised me OOP, check-called a pot-sized bet on the flop, turn went check-check and he check folded to a pot sized bet on the river. Against the rest of the table he has seemed pretty reasonable, leading me to believe that his stack is due more to good play than loose play.

5 handed Party 3-6, Effective stacks 1300

Hero is in SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Fold to CO, who makes it $12.

Villain calls on button, Hero makes it $55.

CO Folds, Villain calls.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Hero leads for $100, Villain raises to $400, Hero ????
Old 12-16-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: 3/6 QQ

Preflop minraise makes it seem that 99 and 88 are less likely than a hand like A5h. I don't want to back that read with a 2buyin stack though. I'd probably just call preflop, I don't want to build a huge pot against a good player OOP.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-16-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop minraise makes it seem that 99 and 88 are less likely than a hand like A5h.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain called the CO's minraise, which makes a set very likely. I also think calling the reraise to $55 with Axs is rare (or at least not automatic, unlike calling with a pocket pair with such deep stacks).

Fold. I think you'll see a set most of the time, and a too-tricky AA-KK a little bit of the time. The times that he does have a draw and you dodge his outs will not begin to make up for the times you're drawing to two outs.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:58 AM

That's what I was thinking. I folded, quickly, which made me feel very owned. I mean I would have done the same thing with AA, which seems right but doesn't. I guess I just need to give alot more though to playing deep.

I think that a call PF followed by a c'raise may be a better line. Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:11 AM

You dont want to check-raise this flop.
What happens if you get called?

If I called pf, then I would either check/call flop and lead turn (folding a raise), or lead at this flop.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 AM

insta-push.. i smell a draw the whole way.

given his position.. if he draws out.. its ok.. because chances are you have some of, if not 3/5ths of his total outs.. he is puting you to the test on a raggy flop.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:54 AM

i'm not so sure i agree with the checking the flop.. at least put something out there because if you check and give him a free card and a K or an A comes.. you have no clue where you're at in the hand..

i bet the pot at this hand on the flop.. if he calls you push a safe turn. if he raises you go into a tank and see waht kind of raises he'll call w/ medium pairs that would make a set here. i know a lot of players who will fold 88 and 99 here depending on their oposition.

but dont overplay QQ, thats one of those hands i really dont like to put my money in with unless i have a set or a outside straight draw.. its at best a coin flop if you think the player is really skilled and tight.

you have AA here and its a different situation.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not so sure i agree with the checking the flop.. at least put something out there because if you check and give him a free card and a K or an A comes.. you have no clue where you're at in the hand..

i bet the pot at this hand on the flop.. if he calls you push a safe turn. if he raises you go into a tank and see waht kind of raises he'll call w/ medium pairs that would make a set here. i know a lot of players who will fold 88 and 99 here depending on their oposition.

but dont overplay QQ, thats one of those hands i really dont like to put my money in with unless i have a set or a outside straight draw.. its at best a coin flop if you think the player is really skilled and tight.

you have AA here and its a different situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is calling a pfr, and potting this flop, and pushing a safe turn different from overplaying QQ?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
insta-push.. i smell a draw the whole way.

given his position.. if he draws out.. its ok.. because chances are you have some of, if not 3/5ths of his total outs.. he is puting you to the test on a raggy flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insta-push is not a good play for this hand. You are either 50/50 (or even worse) with a big draw or totally destroyed Vs a set or bigger overpair.

If you think you have the best hand, then call the raise, and if the turn blanks, then push, but if it comes with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] then check/fold (probably check/fold to an Ace too).

This shades the odds in your favour if villain does have a big draw, as he will be a significant underdog if the turn blanks, and you have already made up your mind to pay off a better hand.
It has a 2nd advantage that you *might* get KK to fold.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:00 AM

fold. massive reverse implied odds.