Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:58 AM

Default sng bankroll

Okay, i've been playing sng's now for like 3 years. I started on these forums about 2 weeks ago, and let's just say i'm realizing how much of a rookie i actually am. Needless to say, i know basically nothing about percentages as far as return on investments and so forth. All i knew was i was profitting. I'm starting to learn now. i was a regular 215 sng player, and while this wasn't my full time job i took most of my money out and spent it and had a good time. I find now that as i start all over again, at these lower limits, they're harder to beat. Naturally i don't want to step up in money til have built my bankroll up. But i do have a few questions to those out there. First, where can i learn about tracking my return on investments and so forth? Second, does anyone else find the lower limits more difficult to beat than the higher limits. As i'm reading these forums and learning more, good possibility i was very lucky for a long time, where as i thought i was a good player, seems unlikely now. There's a lot to this game that i didn't know about. So now i turn to u guys for advice and direction. Where do i learn more about these things. And what kind of bankroll do i need to start stepping up in limits?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: sng bankroll

The lower limits are much easier. Opponents calling with anything is a very good thing in the long run. A good bankroll would be 50 buy-ins for the limit you play.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, where can i learn about tracking my return on investments and so forth?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to read the FAQ, stickied to the top of the forum.

Poker tracker (not free) will help you with some of this stuff, but so will SNG tracker, free. I'd recommend SNG tracker, people love it. And it's free.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, does anyone else find the lower limits more difficult to beat than the higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure some people do, but it's either a flaw in their perception or a flaw in their ability to adjust to their table conditions. The players at the lower stakes just are plain out worse. As in the maximum acheivable ROIs are higher as you move down stakes. The games should be "easier" if you have the ability to play against bad players.

[ QUOTE ]
Where do i learn more about these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've found the right place.

[ QUOTE ]
And what kind of bankroll do i need to start stepping up in limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, FAQ.

citanul
Old 08-31-2005, 12:13 PM

Ty flytrap for your advice. Any advice on where i can learn about the ROI and so forth. Also i used to think the lower limits were easier, but the crackers are hitting runners and everything else against dominated hands and picking my bankroll apart. Great googly moogly. Anyway, should i maybe not be playing turbo tournaments on stars?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ty flytrap for your advice. Any advice on where i can learn about the ROI and so forth. Also i used to think the lower limits were easier, but the crackers are hitting runners and everything else against dominated hands and picking my bankroll apart. Great googly moogly. Anyway, should i maybe not be playing turbo tournaments on stars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, sometimes you lose, that's the way poker works.

Read the FAQ.

citanul
Old 08-31-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great googly moogly

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?? lol. holla
Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 PM

You will probably find you are playing to tight on the lower limits or not controlling the pot size. I say this because it is the exact problem I have. Of course the players are better at the higher limits (typically) but your play may be more adjusted to the higher stakes games. I have the same problem and found exactly what someone else said before me. I do not adjust my play properly. I am having modest success at the 109's and doing ok at 215's (I don't play many of these) by playing basic poker. Trying too much trickery without the skills needed usually just lands me in trouble. Luckily my bank roll allows me to continue to learn at the 109's but if I see a significant stumble I'll move down.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:03 PM

Now looky here.
I did not say I was a millionare.
But I said I have spent more money than a millionare.
Cause if I had kept all of the money I had already spent,
I'd woulda been a millionare a long time ago.
And women? Well, great googly moogly.

- Howlin' Wolf
Closed Thread