Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Do you get away from THIS hand?

5-10NL, Pokerroom, full table. Villain has been aggressive after the flop. Hero has $500, 55 in UTG. Villain has Hero covered. Hero and Villain both limp, folded to blinds, SB folds, BB checks.

Pot is $35, flop comes KT5, two spades. Hero bets $25, Villain raises to $50, Hero calls.

Turn comes K. Hero bets $50, Villain raises to $125, Hero?

Results in white
<font color="white"> Basically, Hero reraises all-in, villain calls. River irrelevant, villain flips over KT. </font>
Old 06-01-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Do you get away from THIS hand?

yes. limped pot.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:32 PM

not that likely, as villian could probably just as easily have KQ or KJ in this spot.

you only had 50BB.

if you just call his turn raise, then he is still coming out betting on the river when checked to, likely setting you all in as you have shown you like your hand enough to call that much.

it is possible he may think your and is very weak and you just don't believe him and may make a smaller river bet to make sure you call, but i doubt it.

tough break.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:41 PM

What was your plan on the turn if an A, 9, or spade came? Why not reraise the min raise on the flop?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:51 PM

i agree, you've gotta force the action on this flop....even though it probably wouldn't have mattered b/c you guys just aren't deep enough.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:43 PM

Hmmm... I actually read him for top pair good kicker, not a straight or flush draw; he seemed relatively ABC with his raises, not LAGgy. So I wasn't worried about an A or 9 coming. I tend to call raises when there is a draw on the board, I have a monster, and the raiser is straightforward in his raises (i.e. he doesn't raise draws). This way, he thinks I'm chasing, and tries to "protect" his hand, which allows me to pop him on the turn (which often looks even more suspiciously like a LAG raising his draw! beautiful).

So I'm not going to raise that flop. I think passive play was the right play against this guy. It just so happens that he hit one of his four outs... and my question stands: do you get away from the low boat?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:11 PM

You said you knew that he had top pair. If he was abc with his raises, not LAGgy, would he raise kj, kq , ak before the flop? If he does raise with them, you can almost instantly put him on k10. I think your read should've been to make him pay to catch you and overbet the pot trying to get him either all in or fold. You say slowplaying was best decision, well if it was you got caught. Tough to fold underfull. Only thing I can say is you MIGHT have been able to get away from it with the pot being unraised, but those situations are moment to moment. Tough to answer have to know opponent.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:15 PM

I believe Brunson says to never lose your stack in a limped pot. Having said that if I'm going to lead I'm going to announce my set with a lead of $100 in an attempt to take the pot down. Being UTG also makes limping with KK a possibility. My mind is already made up to push to any raise, and fold to an unlikely push. I'm not looking to stack somebody with bottom set, especially when there's a flush draw on the flop. If I just get called and the K or T or flush comes on the turn I'll just check fold then go slash my wrists. I just want to take the $35 and play the next hand.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:15 PM

He'd raise with AK (though limping is not unheard of early), almost surely NOT with KQ or KJ UTG+1. Preflop raising standards are pretty tight at this table.I put him on KQ or KJ. That being said, would you let the hand go?

Also, not really worried about KK. This fella will raise it preflop, in early position; the table was reasonably tight preflop, not too much limping or raising, so KK would raise preflop for value (as opposed to hoping to re-raise) in EP.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'd raise with AK (though limping is not unheard of early), almost surely NOT with KQ or KJ UTG+1. Preflop raising standards are pretty tight at this table.I put him on KQ or KJ. That being said, would you let the hand go?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he sucks enough to stack off with KQ or KJ here, then raise allin.

Why are you shortstacked?