Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 PM

Default J-J, reraised all in, early in tourney

Hi, MTT newb here.

I was playing in a Pokerstars $10 NL MTT when this situation came up.

Level 1, blinds still at 10/20
I'm at T1300, MP is sitting on T1500

I'm in LP with J-J. MP raises 3xbb (60), MP1 coldcalls, I raise to 200. Folded over to MP who pushes. MP1 folds. I fold.

Is this a reasonable fold?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: J-J, reraised all in, early in tourney

Yeah, that's an easy fold, specially so early in the tourney. With the way he betted out, you're either already beat with KK or even AA, or evened up with AK. Easy fold there.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Your preflop raise was overvalued (10xbb) and you had not very good position to face a reraise like that.If you like to gamble or if it is a huge field a call should not be a huge mistake.Good luck
Old 02-03-2005, 12:16 AM

So in this sort of situation it's best to just call and see a flop?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 AM

Re-raising is fine. You want to narrow the field and get it heads up. I'd have probably raised it to 350 or so and then strongly strongly considered calling the all-in. People usually aren't going to be pushing AA/KK that hard trying to drive both villains out preflop. You've also got to remember that this is a 10 dollar buy-in tourney and you're ahead of a lot of hands that bad players will push with.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your preflop raise was overvalued (10xbb) and you had not very good position to face a reraise like that.If you like to gamble or if it is a huge field a call should not be a huge mistake.Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Although the preflop raise was too big, don't look at it as being 10xbb. Once the pot has been raised in front of you, it might be best to think in terms of the size of the pot or the size of the original raise, while obviously considering everyone's stack size.

The amount of the big blind is immediately unimportant once he raises in front of you.

P.S. It's a pretty easy fold, IMO.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 AM

The raise isn't too big. In fact I'd probably raise a little more, to about 300.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:27 AM

Against most players you have an easy fold; however, these lower buyin tourneys online have a lot of players who are pretty much crazy. If you've observed that MP is one of the maniacs, you might want to call, since he may have a lower pair or a weak Ace. Usually it's easy to pick out these players because they raise or reraise nearly every pot.

Without a read, good fold.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:48 AM

In this situation I would most likely just double the origional raisers raise. So probably make it 150 or 160 to go. This way, if he pushes you can easily for Jacks. You have to remember that jacks are middle pair, there are 3 overpairs that beat you. Plus if you up against a premium coinflip hand, i.e AK or AQ, you are only slightly ahead.

I would just slightly reraise the origional raise, then hope to see a flop. Most players at this level are not very good post-flop players, so it would most likely pay you off if he isn't any good.