Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Turned the nuts, villain likes his hand

Ok so my reads are basically i don't understand how villain plays. Usually he overplays top pair but sometimes he'll make a monster lay down. I have been raising like every hand and getting no respect on my flop bets, which is why I do not bet this flop.

1/2 NL, effective stacks 150

UTG limps, hero raises to 7 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], UTG calls... pot is 17

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

check, check

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets 5, I raise to 15 (should have raised more but I forgot how big the pot was), villain thinks for a while, then makes it 35. I know he likes his hand here but I don't know how much. He even said "why are you checking the flop?" to which I replied "I have a monster, of course" anyway... what's your action? Who likes a reraise here and who likes a smooth call? Villain had about 100 and change left.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Turned the nuts, villain likes his hand

raise it up sir

ok bro?

nice job man
Old 09-17-2005, 03:49 PM

I would push. If the board pairs on the river, you are in a very tricky situation. And as you said, villain likes his hand alot, which probably means a hand better than at least top pair. There is some chance that he'll fold a two-pair if you push, but all other hands, such as a smaller straight or set, he will most likely call. Against those hands it is better to push, the board may pair or his straight may be countered, which means that either you will lose your money or you will not get any more money from him.

Kludde
Old 09-17-2005, 03:54 PM

I generally like to raise with the best hand. RAISE. If Villain really likes his hand there's a good chance he's got two pair or a set, so there are a lot of cards you don't want to hit on the river. You have the best hand, so get some money in the pot.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:56 PM

if someone 4-bet me in a pot of like nothing and the board was AT98r, i'm ditching everything but a set and praying for the board to pair if i have one. is anyone with me here?

now i realize villain sucks but how much is it safe to assume someone sucks???
Old 09-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Against a good player, I like a call. Keep him on lead, you are guaranteed to stack him on the river. However, what do you do if the board pairs on the river? Tough one. So, against a bad opponent, I just re-raise right now on the turn. It is rare indeed to find someone who will fold a set here. So I would raise another 50 or so. He will have bad odds to draw to fill up and will probably call off the rest on the river.

Edit: I didn't remember the stack sizes. With only 100 left, you could push. But still, I think chances that he drops a set to a push are better than even a raise of another 75. That's just how these guys are. So I wouldn't push, but I would raise enought to give him bad odds to draw to a boat. Or, if I thought there was a real chance of his dropping a set, I would call and get it in on the river.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:57 PM

everyone seems to be saying raise here. villain explicitly asked why you checked the flop, he either puts you on AA, at which case i put him on a set, or he thinks you have KK and he has a small ace.

i say smooth call, and if the river pairs the board block bet. only problem with the river is you're first to act, and if it doesn't pair put in a pot sized bet.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i say smooth call, and if the river pairs the board block bet. only problem with the river is you're first to act, and if it doesn't pair put in a pot sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Duck is not first to act. Villian is UTG, Mr. Ducky is somewhere that doesn't include the blinds.

I use my position here and just call and destack him on the river, of course when the board pairs that sucks, but that's life.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:54 PM

If you think that the villain is capable of making big laydowns, I just call here. Villain is likely to lead again on the river and if the board doesn't pair, you can likely stack him.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:22 PM

call, you have position. the only tricky thing would be if the board paired and he check-raised you all-in