Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Afternoon Granny throws me off my game (low content)

So I'm sitting at 1-4-8 spread at the Grand in Gulfport, MS. There's nothing higher than that game and I've only got a little time so I sign up and the floor opens a new table. Two seats to my left is a dealer playing before his shift. He has a habit of bluffing at the pot. Down the table is an afternoon weak-tightie granny. There are two more weak-tightie afternooners at the table as well. Two guys who are complete newbies (one asking if a flush beats a str8). Full table.

This is your classic calling station table with little aggression. One guy slow rolled pocket kings all the way to the river on a non-threatening board. Avg of like 6-8 players to the flop. Me and the dealer-player were the only ones doing any PF raising. A couple of folks were making terrible bluffs on the flop and turn.

I'm in the SB and there are about 5 limpers ahead of me. I complete with A3s. Flop comes 3T3 rainbow. I check fully expecting to get an opportunity to c/r on the turn. Checked around to granny who bets 4 in the CO. Button folds, I call, BB and everybody else folds. Crap. I thought for sure we'd have like 4 or 5 on the turn.

Turn is the case 3 and I check. I figure if I fire, I'm getting no action from granny. She bets 8 and I pause, briefly to consider c/r at that point. She then harps "If you've got the 3 go ahead and bet it! You need to read Mike Caro on tells!" (btw, she can't see through the guy between us, he was that large).

As I'm laughing, I line up my two stacks of 8 and go to raise to punish her impudence. Then I do something that I have never (not even my first time at a B&M) done. I string bet. As soon as my hand crosses the line with the first stack, I know what I've done. I didn't announce the raise. I'm an idiot.

I lead the river and she calls. She shows the KT and MHIG.

She's bitching and moaning the whole time so I tell her that I've read Caro's book and that I figured she had to. I tell her my purpose was to try and give a reverse tell. Of course, my purpose was only to consider whether I would get a call to my c/r on the turn or if I should wait til the river.

I guess I was just so shaken by her that I made a string bet. She got up to go to the restroom and a couple of regulars were discussing whether they would cut her in for a share if a jackpot hand hit. I let them know that I was against that and would only agree to buy her a copy of Caro's book if it hit.

Please, no comments on how I might have missed bets on the flop or turn. I know.