Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Giving money to Katrina = Bad

I just noticed that on the news they are talking about how great it is that they are passing out foodstamps/welfare checks and debit cards with average of $2k on them. Is it just me or is this the biggest f-ing mistake ever? These people are scared and depressed and you just gave them drug/alcohal money or a used car and travel away from where the healthcare is and people that would be able to treat the diseases that will pop up or mental health issues. I'm glad that they are trying to help these people but I just don't see this as a wise decision. If it was me getting $2k and I had nothing left in the world and maybe lost a few family members I'd run to the bar and hook up about 50 rum and cokes, but maybe that's just me.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Giving money to Katrina = Bad

[ QUOTE ]
If it was me getting $2k and I had nothing left in the world and maybe lost a few family members I'd run to the bar and hook up about 50 rum and cokes, but maybe that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

those would be some expensive rum and cokes.

also, rum and coke? couldn't you find a better drink?

gtfo
Old 09-07-2005, 05:19 PM

well rum + cocain is expensive and there is nothing better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 05:21 PM

well my mom is housing a family from NO that had everything of theirs destroyed for 4 months here in dallas until they get back on their feet. she is paying for their apartment while they work and there kids go to school here...do you think this is a waste of money?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well my mom is housing a family from NO that had everything of theirs destroyed for 4 months here in dallas until they get back on their feet. she is paying for their apartment while they work and there kids go to school here...do you think this is a waste of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, your mom has made the decision to cover their housing. My issue is people under stress make poor decisions, handing someone under that stress a ton of money is not the smartest thing.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:29 PM

That is really great of your Mom to help out that much!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] To the OP, some people will use the money wisely and some won't that's just the nature of these things I guess...

Sly
Old 09-07-2005, 05:37 PM

and its so cool when the family is grateful and respectful.

they have three kids and they have a family rule that they have to have after school jobs. well the kids decided on their own that they would set aside a percentage of their check to payback my mom for paying for the apartment. i told them that my mom won't take the money but they didn't listen.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:25 PM

This reminds me of a Howard Stern episode where they got a few bums off the street and they played Jeopardy. The bum who won got $10K, I kid you not. The questions were akin to "how many hours are there in a day".

Anyway, Howard was going on and on about how this money could change one of these guy's life. At the end of the show, they showed the bum who won, and he went across the street and immediately bought a brand new leather FUBU jacket. lol. They put the camera on him and he was like "FUBU, kiiiid!"

It was about the 6th funniest thing I've ever seen.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:38 PM

You can't spend foodstamps at a bar. Or on alcohol at all.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:49 PM

When I heard that they were giving away $2000 debit cards, I shuddered a little at the thought. Not that they shouldn't be giving these people a hand, but the logistics of it all seems extremely tricky. I imagine that many people have nothing but the clothes on their backs. How do you make sure people get just one? How mad are some people going to be if they didn't get one and someone else did. I heard that they were going to be giving them to people at the Astrodome. Then I thought that many of the hardest hit people aren't even in the Astrodome. I'm sure there isn't a perfect plan possible so maybe we just accept all these possible inequities and confusions. Normally, if it wasn't for how I've already seen FEMA handle this, I would figure this card idea and distribution plan was decently thought through. Now I don't give the benefit of the doubt of a decently thought through anything when it relates to this effort. I'd be very curious to hear all the specific details.

Then again, maybe for my peace of mind, I'd rather not.