Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 07:47 AM

Default What´s your play?

5+1$ MTT on Expekt with 6 people left. BB T12000
Villan T234000 (solid tight)
Hero T174000 (solid tigh)

The villan doubles the blind from UTG.
Folded around to me at the BB and i look down at A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The last 5 orbits i had to give away the BB without a fight and when
i finally have at least half a hand the tightest player doubels the blind from UTG.
Which means he wants action = very strong hand.
Well 12000 more isn´t going to hurt me and he will never
be abel to put me on this hand so i decide to call
Normaly i only call with KQs or smaler PP.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What´s your play?
Other facts to consider are:

1. He´s a GOOD player
2. We have excellent reads on each other
3. If you double up you´ll have a 3-1 chip lead.
4. i´m second in chips
5. 6th place paid ~400 3rd paid ~850 1st paid ~1300

I´ll post what I did and why later
Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: What´s your play?

Don't know what you are hoping for when you call pre-flop, but it must be something like this flop. All-in.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 AM

I was mad as hell when i "couldn´t" call/raise and
called to see what the flop brought me. (hoped to get lucky)
the chips i could win back when i had position [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 09:29 AM

Wow, that's a flat payout structure!

I check and see what he does. There is 30K in the pot right now I think, You have 150K, he has 220K. Checking is certainly right, it's what to do when it gets back to you that is the hard part. I would tend to call bets up to about 20K. Between 20 and 30K I don't know what I do.

Do you think you can move him off of AA/KK here? If not, I would not call a raise more than 20K. You implied odds just suck unless he has KK with the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (or maybe QQ with the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]). If he really gives you respect, you can check raise all in, but that is very dangerous since he could have a big pair with a heart. Fortunately, he probably has AA or KK, and out of the 9 ways he can have those hands, only 3 include a heart, but that does not mean he will necessarily let go of a big pair without a heart.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:51 PM

there is 54k in the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Fortunately, he probably has AA or KK

[/ QUOTE ]

even for a tight player, i think this is way too small a range. at the very least, AK and TT+ should be capable of making this play, unless the min-raise is incredible transparent as a monster, and hero has not given any indication that the read is that good.

i like a check-call on the flop, and a check on the turn. my experience late in tourneys is that people suddenly decide it's a good idea to bet 1/5 the pot, so just take your super good odds and hope to hit.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:09 PM

Doh! You're right, it is 54K.

Clearly if he makes a lame bet on the flop you call. I was assuming the mini raise was very atypical here, which is probably assuming too much. (I think the psych term is projection. I will make a standard raise more than 99% of the time if I bring it in for a raise, regardless of what I have, and sometimes unconsciously assume others will, too.)

What do you do if if bets 40K? That is a tough spot in my mind.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:21 PM

i like a c/r all-in. you've almost certainly got 12 outs, and there's enough of a chance you can fold out AK/AQ/?? that you should have a decent amount of FE. i think you've got to much hand to check/fold and check/call leaves too much of your stack in the middle OOP, and you risk not getting paid off if you hit.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:52 PM

I like all in at the flop.

If you check and he bets 40k ish, you don't know if that is an AK 40k that you can push off of or 1010 without a heart that might have folded. Either way your check reraise all in won't push him off the hand after he puts his 40k in.

On the other hand, if you way overbet the pot on the flop he might lay down his hand thinking you have pair + flush draw or some other hand that might have him dominated. I don't really want to be testing my 40% chance to win this pot, but I don't really want to get away from the hand either.

I think the biggest mistake on this board would be to fire out a small bet of 20-30k. I've done it and I've learned it doesn't buy me enough information and in hindsight I really don't like that play.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:54 PM

I think it was silly to even play the hand in the first place against the guy with more chips and such a mediocre hand at this point in the tourney your not in any rush compared to the blinds correct?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:16 AM

I agree, although it worries me that it is only the newbies who like the push [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
If he has any sense, at this point in the tournament against your big stack, he will fold to an all-in, even with AA. It would be a dangerous to get him any more committed to this pot with a check-raise. This is an uncomfortable hand, and you want to win it quickly.