Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Is Tony Scott pissing anyone else off?

I have only seen two movies of his (that I'm aware of), Man on Fire and recently, Domino. Both seem to be filmed as thought the viewer has a perma-high on shrooms, with plenty of blurred screen or vibrating shots and various other things that make the movie basically impossible to watch. Are all of his movies like this? Plus, Domino was a cheater, they just lie about certain events happening without a lot of clues to lead up to it. The one exeption to this was the (SPOILER) part with the driver doing somethign suspicious with the money. The mafia boys not dying was a total cheat.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Is Tony Scott pissing anyone else off?

You've never seen Top Gun?

That said, I hate Tony Scott as a director, although QT's script manages to carry True Romance in spite of Tony Scott's best efforts to ruin it....
Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 PM

I thought Spy Game was pretty damn good.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 PM

I absolutely love his style. I think it's unique because the way he fast forwards little clips throughout the movie and pans in and out through the "character mode" by helping us see multiple points of view from each person that is suppose to be real time in the movie is awesome. I don't know how to explain it from a film director vocabulary, but I really feel that not that many people give him enough credit for his style.

Anyhow, from this list , I can say that I really enjoyed watching Top Gun, True Romance, Spy Game, Man on Fire, and hopefully Domino, once I watch that.

Honestly, if you appreciate movies at all, I think you got to appreciate Tony Scott for his individuality in the Hollywood world. Kind of like Tim Burton I think.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:40 PM

Tarantino seems to love him, but I haven't gotten my mind around loving his style yet.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:51 PM

domino was written by richard kelly (donnie darko) so that might explain why it's pretty weird. i thought it sucked...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
domino was written by richard kelly (donnie darko) so that might explain why it's pretty weird. i thought it sucked...

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to popular belief, a movie being written by somehow doesn't mean that the director of the said movie should be judged the same way.

Look at Scarface. It was written by Oliver Stone but directed by Brian De Palma. Both were and are still tight, IMO.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to popular belief, a movie being written by somehow doesn't mean that the director of the said movie should be judged the same way.

Look at Scarface. It was written by Oliver Stone but directed by Brian De Palma. Both were and are still tight, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't believe that's the only reason, but i'm sure it could be submitted as evidence
Old 10-22-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't believe that's the only reason, but i'm sure it could be submitted as evidence

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. I was just trying to prove a point. And I think many people will agree/disagree with me, but just to clarify. A writer and a director should not be judged according to what the other person is capable of. Someone could write a dope ass script and have it directed by some shmuck, just as myself, who could [censored] it all up. Vice versa of course.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 AM

Two words to get you straight:

True Romance