Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-15-2005, 03:32 AM

Default 3/6 top set, am I still raising?

Button is terrible-loose, no real info on other players. Should I fear 63 or 68 here and just call turn bet, or pop it up to make lows and straight draws pay? I'd feel sick seeing a 3-bet here. Probably a stupid question, so feel free to restate that in reply.

3/6 LO8 (Stars)

UTG calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB raises, I call with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB, UTG calls, Button calls

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise, UTG calls, Button calls, SB 3-bets, I cap, everyone calls

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, Hero?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: 3/6 top set, am I still raising?

[ QUOTE ]
SB bets, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Burdz - Raise. There's too much already in the pot to do anything else. Your object is to knock out anyone with a weak straight or weak straight draw. A raise from you at least decreases the favorable odds anybody has to draw here. if your raise fails to knock out CO or Button, and if SB re-raises, then just call the re-raise.

Buzz
Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 AM

Ok...I agree with the raise on the turn. Hopefully it knocks some of the others out here. You really don't want more than two people seeing the river if you can help it.

If the others come along, you are in a tough spot and will need to improve on the river.

Dave
Old 10-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Given the situation you are in, you HAVE to raise the turn. This is the only hope you have to get the drawing hands out, and to see where your at.

BTW, I might have played this flop a bit differently. When I have nut hands that are extremley vunerable, I often times play the flop slow ... pray for a good turn card to hit, and if it does ... then I get aggressive. This maskes your hand a bit, and should lose you much less when you get outdrawn. Im not sure I would have done that on this hand, though.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Dyess,

I agree with you on the slow play, but I think it just leaves me vulnerable to getting outplayed and needing a draw to make money.

I understand though. I do it a lot. But I think there is a better way. That's why I put my vote in for the raise in this situation.

Dave
Old 10-17-2005, 08:27 AM

I think you need to raise the turn. You want to drive out the players behind you. There are a lot of scary river cards for you. The less opponents you have, the less likely that someone will make a straight on the river. If players cold call your raise you still can win high if the board pairs, filling you up.

In multiway pots, sets are usually drawing hands because of all the straight possibilities.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:53 PM

Is this raise really worth it?

Let's say he raises the turn and the two players decide to fold and the small blind calls. It's not for sure, but there's a pretty good chance that he's up against the nut low. So eliminating the other players makes him no money. If it's heads up, he's just getting his money back.

Doesn't it make more sense to call and keep the other players on a draw in?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 PM

I think it's better to go ahead and raise to lock up your half of the pot. Better to get half than none.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SB bets, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Burdz - Raise. There's too much already in the pot to do anything else. Your object is to knock out anyone with a weak straight or weak straight draw. A raise from you at least decreases the favorable odds anybody has to draw here. if your raise fails to knock out CO or Button, and if SB re-raises, then just call the re-raise.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with the raise here even though the top set may in fact be the one now on a draw. What do you do if for example you raise, UTG 3 bets, and SB caps? Call 2 here or [yuk], fold?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:27 PM

I think it is. Any A, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, or T can give someone a straight. You would like to reduce the number of opponents to reduce the chance that one of these cards will make someone a better high hand.