Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Default live 1/2 SH hand, top pair turned flush

So I'm playing at a dog track, with very loose (or sometimes very tight, but nevertheless very bad) games, and the table loses a few players so we're down to 6 for a little bit.

Villain = semi-aggressive, sometimes loose, but highly critical of others' play.

The rest of the table, excluding my girlfriend (but even sometimes I ask), are pretty fishy, especially villain 2 who is very wild for hand selection.

I have no idea how to do short-handed position labeling, so bear with me.

Hero is in SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, Villain 1 limps, Villain 2 limps, Hero checks, Girlfriend checks.

Flop:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Girlfriend checks, UTG+1 checks, Villain 1 bets, Villain 2 calls, Hero raises, GF folds, UTG+1 folds, Villain 1 calls, Villain 2 calls.

Turn:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Villain 1 calls, Villain 2 calls.

River:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Villain 1 raises, Villain 2 folds, Hero 3-bets, Villain 1 caps, Hero calls.

Defense of all streets:

Flop: I figured somebody was gonna bet this flop and give me a chance to c/r and protect my hand, so I went for it.

Turn: I have good equity here, and with the flush draw I get the bonus of my hand coming out of absolutely nowhere if I do hit a heart, especially if I'm up against two pair, or any other rivered hand.

River: I did not C/R because of my behavior on the turn. A check-raise may have stopped villain if he picked up two pair, a straight, or a smaller flush. (I am usually seen as a pretty conservative player because the standard for "not tight" there is at a bare minimum 60% of all hands dealt played).

Comments? thanks
Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: live 1/2 SH hand, top pair turned flush

nh. My only slight nit is the flop c/r.

I understand your rationale and agree with it with some caveats. To protect via a c/r in a hand like this, the bet needs to come from late position. Yes, I know it did come from LP, but you said your rationale was that "somebody" would bet. If your gf or UTG bet instead of LP, your c/r would not have made their calls unprofitable and hence not protect your hand.

That being said, I suggest that if you think that the bet will come from LP, the c/r is fine - but if your not sure, I would rather lead out.

Again, nh.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nh. My only slight nit is the flop c/r.

I understand your rationale and agree with it with some caveats. To protect via a c/r in a hand like this, the bet needs to come from late position. Yes, I know it did come from LP, but you said your rationale was that "somebody" would bet. If your gf or UTG bet instead of LP, your c/r would not have made their calls unprofitable and hence not protect your hand.

That being said, I suggest that if you think that the bet will come from LP, the c/r is fine - but if your not sure, I would rather lead out.

Again, nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, with TPMK and a BDFD on a fairly uncoordinated board, what are you protecting FROM? You don't want the flop to go through without any bets going in, as you've likely got the best hand (if you were holding A9 or K9, it might be different)...bet for value, hope LP raises so you can 3-bet.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM

In a loose, passive game, you think TPMK is worth a 3-bet here? You don't have any overcards to the queen, you have the backdoor. Don't you fear being outkicked? 3-betting while being outkicked would be a big mistake as you only have 4.5 outs here.