Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Advice On How To Keep Party Tables \"Happy\"

Usually the guy making the tirade is a weak player you want to keep at the table, especially when he's steaming, but you don't want him to chase away the other fish either. Usually I'll say nothing at first and hope it stops. If it gets bad, I might make some light comment designed to diffuse the situation a little. Perhaps some comment about the luck of the cards or something.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Today, this guy had me totally pegged as a complete fish, and was ragging on me every hand after I made a move on him and sucked out (to be fair, he was way overplaying his overpair on the big streets; hit my gutshot on the turn, capped turn, rivered a flush, capped river). Even had people agreeing with him. I didn't want this guy to leave, up until that point, he'd played completely predictable ABC poker, and was starting to tilt hard. So I get to play the part of the semi-knowledgeable fish, saying things like, oh, but I had 17% chance to win and you never know what'll happen. Which kept me happy because he dumped off over $100 to me and the other fish, at 2/4, no less.

This post has no point, but it was one of those things I don't get to do very often.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:11 PM

I've been known to throw random (incorrect) percentage numbers at the table-coach. This will ALWAYS turn their attention to me. For instance:

"dude, back off...jackassdonkfish just made a great play! he had a 3-flush plus a 3-card straight draw on the flop, so that gives him a 42% chance of making a hand by the river!"

If you're really, really lucky, the table-coach will scurry off to a poker odds website to refute your claim, and stop even paying attention to his hand. Plus, jackassdonkfish thinks he made a good play, because he's already decided that table-coach is a dick so when table-coach comes back with the right number he'll think he's full of crap.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been known to throw random (incorrect) percentage numbers at the table-coach.....Plus, jackassdonkfish thinks he made a good play, because he's already decided that table-coach is a dick so when table-coach comes back with the right number he'll think he's full of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant. Beautiful in its simplicity.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't chat at all. But if someone is riding hard on a target of my affection, I may say something like "Hey <insert target screenname>, don't let him put you on tilt. Just play your game" Makes him feel like more of a poker player, and sends a subtle message to the derider that he is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a very, very good way of dealing with the problem.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:27 PM

I usually say "pokur iz ezy" or "I had odd pots" or "hey harv you passed enough chips to me" . But that's at the 2+2 tables.

Otherwise I tell them that lesson day is tuesday or thursday if that day happens to be tuesday. If they're steaming because someone who is 8 tabling takes too long I tell them that so and so is checking with jesus in the fridge and will be right back.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you playing poker for money or the social aspects? This is one of THE best things that can happen at any table you sit down at. The fish dont leave? They fight back, suddenly your whole table dynamic is changed and you have usually 2-3 people playing emotional poker in an attempt to 'beat' the others and 'prove' themselves.

Sit tight and take down the huge pots that their LAGGy play will allow you to. And continue to provoke them but dont actually get caught up in it yourself if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're wrong, many players will just find the atmosphere to be unpleasant when any fighting is going on and leave. Besides, I don't need a 70% VPIP player(the type the jerks usually insult) to be on tilt, he's bad enough already on his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

aha thanks for the honesty. actually just realised i probably think like this because most games i aim for have 4 people, at most 6. the situation could be different FR where those extra 4 donks are where your money is coming from. =/
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 PM

When I hit on the river on a reasonable draw and someone flames me, I always say something like "I was feeling lucky." Don't let them think you know what you're doing--plus it drives them nuts to think that your play was based on a "feeling" and that you got paid off.