Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Country music, sports, and the agreement (wicked long)

My mom hates two things with an undying passion: country music and my dad's obsession with sports. However, she hates country music more. My dad has been listening to country for 2-3 years now and has been trying to be more of a "country boy" which is odd because he still has a British accent. Therefore, my mom to get him to stop listening to country music and with the whole culture has decided upon a deal with him. If he stops all of it, he can watch any Celtics and Patriots game unnagged. This was fair to all and there was an agreement made.

My dad has been good to his word, but only around my mom. When in the car with me (I hate most country music), he still listens to it and listens to it on his commute to work (like 1/2 hour each way). My mom used my dad's car the other day and turned on the radio, which was on a country station. She got mad and banned him from the Pats first preseason game. My dad also just started a 2 week vacation (he's getting a new job taht's closer to home), and is pretty tired. I overheard some country music (lyrics include "I'm not as good as I once was), do I rat him out? It seems like treason, but I cannot stand the country he listens to (the country I like, he hates), and I feel like the punishment would help him on his way.

2 questions:
1. Is my mom right to be mad about him listening to country on his work commute? If so, is 1 preseason game good enough punishment?
2. Should I tell my mom about his watching CMT? She won't get mad, there won't be any argument, all that will happen will that my dad misses the next Pats game. Or should I go in there and tell him that I'll be forced to tell my mom that he was listening to it if he doesn't turn it off?

My opinion (subject to change)
1. Yes, she was just to give him the punishment, it's absolutely necessary to get him off this music for my mom's sanity.
2. I should just go in there and tell him to turn it off, and if he turns it back on I say whatever, I don't really care.

Most importantly, what sort of music should I try to get him into? He grew up in Britain and listened to stuff like David Bowie. He liked the Matisyahu CD. He hasn't taken a liking to any of the music I've shown him lately (radiohead, elliott smith, the shins). So suggestions?

Also, there is no possibility of him continuing with country music as it has gotten to the point where he's embarrasing to be around for my mother (I really don't care) and calls me "boy" in a british-country accent, which I explained to him likely comes from some racist thing in the civil rights era.

Wow, I really need to work on my writing skills.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Country music, sports, and the agreement (wicked long)

Your mom punishes your dad for listening to music? hrmm....

If shes not around, she is very very very unreasonable to ask him to not listen to the radio.

PS Country does suck balls though.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, there is no possibility of him continuing with country music as it has gotten to the point where he's embarrasing to be around for my mother (I really don't care) and calls me "boy" in a british-country accent, which I explained to him likely comes from some racist thing in the civil rights era.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:59 PM

wow she punishes him for listening to stuff when shes not even around to hear it?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:02 PM

Due to my hardcore love of country music I can in no way support this.

Without the country radio station when I'm driving, I would be miserable. Moreover, CMT is an extremely entertaining channel to watch.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:03 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
wow she punishes him for listening to stuff when shes not even around to hear it?

[/ QUOTE ]

She's trying to cold turkey him from it I think
Old 08-28-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If shes not around, she is very very very unreasonable to ask him to not listen to the radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If she's not around when it's on, how can a reasonable person say it drives her crazy?

If she's just pissed because he was sneaking it, well, then they need to reach a new compromise.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:08 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If she's not around when it's on, how can a reasonable person say it drives her crazy?

If she's just pissed because he was sneaking it, well, then they need to reach a new compromise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think she's upset about it. I think I may have misrepresented it. It's kind of like a serious joke. Like they'll kid about it, but she's completely serious that she wants it gone, but she won't be mad if he does, it just means she doesn't have to spend 2-3 hours during sports games not nagging him. Nagging = getting him not to be lazy for 2-3 hours I think.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 PM

Hmmm, now that I think of it I don't think she ever nags him. I think she tricked him. My mom hasn't been allowed to interrupt a sporting event ever since the Tim Duncan debacle*.

*In 1997 my brother, my dad and I were watching the NBA lottery. We were sure the C's would get teh 1st pick. Just as the lottery started, my mom came in and demanded to talk to my dad. We ended up with the 3rd and 6th picks and were Duncan-less. Ever since, my mom isn't allowed to nag us during an important sporting event and no one is allowed to move during the game (pretty standard imo). We've since won a WS and 3 SB's so it's worked out well.

She also lets him eat a Devil's food cake every game of the season. This is getting complicated.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Some country music is good, but if your dad is watching CMT, he obviously has poor taste in the genre. Be mommy's little snitch bitch and tell on him.