Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 02:40 AM

Default 911-Advice needed: Grinding on small limits, patience, BR buildup etc.

Ok. here's the thing. I'm starting with $150.00.
I've done this a million times in the past.
Here's my pattern.
I start with $100.00 on the 5 cent/10 cent.
Over about 15 days, I am a winner. Normally. Meaning I'll get some variance etc. But i usually end up after 15 days and trust me, a lot of table hours, up by like $15-$20.
Then I get cocky and move up a limit or 2, lose it, and then i get so on tilt, i get mad and lose it.

Are there success stories? I envision that ultimately, it will take me 10 years to get to my goal of like $6,000.00 when i can finally start playing for PROFIT and pocket some of my winnings, and deposit the rest in my bankroll each month.

I need advice re: patience and not getting too greedy, etc... it's so harrrdddd... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh and PLLEAASSEE no stories of how you built up your BR from $5 to $5,000 in like 1 month playing sit-go's etc.
I don't believe you. Seriously, don't even bother posting.
Please, stories of real solid grinders. No miracle luck stories, b/c that's all they are.

THANK YOU.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: 911-Advice needed: Grinding on small limits, patience, BR buildup etc.

1. get better at poker
2. get mentaly tougher.
3. start off with a BR of 300-500 and play $25 tables.

Follow those steps in that order and you will be fine.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: 911-Advice needed: Grinding on small limits, patience, BR buildup etc.

No. That's not the answer i'm looking for. I am good at poker. Did u read my post?
I need advice on how to stay grounded, not get GREEDY and move up too quick.
Even good players, if they move up too quick, will not play effectively, play scared, etc.
I need success stories of those that solidly started with like $100, moved up gradually, and never lost their bankroll in the process, protecting it like gold...
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 AM

It was relatively easy to make a leap up a year or two ago with all the infusion of fish in the games with the Moneymaker effect.

Unless you are a tremendously skilled player, building up from $100 to 6k is just not very likely to happen. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of patience, so slowly building up your roll at the still loose microstakes isn't likely to happen.

My advice is to enjoy poker, don't sweat the money too much, and play your best everytime you play. Perhaps you'll build up a decent roll without even thinking about it. If not, at least you'll have enjoyed your time playing poker.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: 911-Advice needed: Grinding on small limits, patience, BR buildup

Here's some advice, pull your head out of your ass and follow bankroll management rules or keep going broke.

Geez, just discipline yourself a little, for god's sake. You wanna tilt? Don't. You wanna play higher? Don't.

Limit sounds like it's more your bag, actually. Fewer swings.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:13 AM

i dont understand the point of hte post??
you know what your leak is... why dont you heed your own advice..

would u feel better if i quoted you explaining what is wrong with your play?

or would u like someone to hold your hand?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:42 AM

Where do you play?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:57 AM

Hell, how would we know. You lack discipline. Figure it out or get therapy. Pokerjoker gave solid advice, "Get mentally tougher". You say, "No. That's not the answer i'm looking for. I am good at poker. Did u read my post?" Well, being good at poker includes bankroll management.

Bankroll management is spelled out here over and over and over in terms that any 4-year old can understand. Following through is up to the individual.

You more or less state both your exact problem and solution, so I don't understand what it is that you are looking for besides validation?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:09 AM

"Limit.....Fewer swings."

You sure about that??
Old 09-16-2005, 04:19 AM

You're a funny guy. I took a $40 freeroll win and a $50 deposit and turned it into the kind of money you think will take you 10 years to make, and haven't redeposited, and am still playing off that, taking out a weekly "paycheck", playing NL100. But I guess you don't wanna hear that made-up story. (If you don't believe people can do it, why do you think you yourself can do it?)

Anyways, it seems you are in poker for the money. Which is fine. You say you are a good player. Alright, fine. Get a roll together and play NL100. That's where you can start making paycheck kind of money. If you're good, you should be able to beat the game, no problem.

You play two weeks and you are up $15. I just won a $15 hand 2 minutes ago. I mean, c'mon. Realistically, you're not gonna build a roll, playing for those stakes. It can happen, sure. But you need to play higher to make any kind of significant $$$. Get a roll started from the outside somehow. Bring it in, play higher stakes, build it up.

--improve your game
--learn to control your emotions
--manage your bankroll properly
--keep getting better