Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Online vs. Live players

I asked a derivative question of this awhile back in the General forum and got ruthlessly flamed so I'll see what you guys think.

Last month Cardplayer mag. interview Mike Matasow. In the interview he described online poker players as the worst kind of player skill wise.

So my question is, if he is correct why is it generally said that if a player can beat 3-6 online at a decent rate that he could play 15-30 or even 10-20 live with relative ease?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Online vs. Live players

Because Matusow has more mouth than brains?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last month Cardplayer mag. interview Mike Matasow. In the interview he described online poker players as the worst kind of player skill wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider where this statement came from... when was the last time he played a 10/20 game do you think? The majority of online players he experiences are in tournaments where these players I think is statement is correct, or in big cash games where these online middle limit pros take stabs.

PS: from what I have heard, Mike the Mouth doesn't play a very ABC limit game... he is a bit of an over-aggressive stealing donk.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 02:00 AM

It's not hard to beat a 15-30 live game just by playing like you would online (heck, even I can), but if you want to succeed at a live level a lot higher than that, there are skills that are necessary that are not possible to develop by playing online. I'm sure others who play higher than I do can elaborate.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider where this statement came from... when was the last time he played a 10/20 game do you think? The majority of online players he experiences are in tournaments where these players I think is statement is correct, or in big cash games where these online middle limit pros take stabs.

PS: from what I have heard, Mike the Mouth doesn't play a very ABC limit game... he is a bit of an over-aggressive stealing donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK that makes sense. I didn't really consider the specific online players he was refering to I just thought he meant online in general, but you make a reasonable point.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Consider where this statement came from... when was the last time he played a 10/20 game do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe they interviewed him after a 50/100 NL session with Sprit Rock and he had dropped yet another $50K to Sprit Rock and he was in a bad mood about playing online. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 07:35 PM

it is a widely know fact at almost all game limits compared at par, online players are much tougher than live.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 PM

it probably was his stupid pills talking. and by stupid pills i mean vicodin + scotch + percoset + whatever else that retardo is on. if he actually compared a 5/10, 10/20, 15/30, or whatever live vs online game, he would think differently