Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Deepstacks at 1/2 NL

Here's more of a strategy situation maybe some of you can help me with.

I haven't really had a situation like this yet, but I know its coming....

As I've related in earlier posts, most B&M 1/2 players are very weak. Where I play the buy in is $100. Now most of the time, when a player gets up to say $300 or $400, they usually have some clue of what they're doing. Doesn't mean they're the kind of player who would make money online, but they wouldn't be the table donk either. Of course there's often one player at the table who's having his "lucky night" and is up 300 just from suckouts or lucky flops.

My question is this: How do you play deep stack poker against these players, who in many cases are willing to go all in with just an overpair on the flop or in some cases even on the turn or river?

My top two might be good, but then again, I don't really want to play a $800 pot with just that. Of course I believe I have above average hand reading ability, but I'll be the first to admit that it isn't unusual for me to have no real idea what a player has. I may be able to tell that they think its a strong hand, but that often isn't enough.

Let me give a scenario, lets say an early position raiser has $400 (he's a decent player but mostly has been hitting his flops and we don't know whether he overvalues his hands or not) he raises to fifteen and three players in the middle call, and I (who also has $400 in chips) decide to come into the pot with K10 suited. Flop comes K102 rainbow. Early position raiser makes it sixty to go, everyone folds to me. My instinct would be to make it 180 and hope to take it down, but what if he moves all in over the top?

What would your action be in this hand when action gets to you on the flop?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Deepstacks at 1/2 NL

[ QUOTE ]
Let me give a scenario, lets say an early position raiser has $400 (he's a decent player but mostly has been hitting his flops and we don't know whether he overvalues his hands or not) he raises to fifteen and three players in the middle call, and I (who also has $400 in chips) decide to come into the pot with K10 suited. Flop comes K102 rainbow. Early position raiser makes it sixty to go, everyone folds to me. My instinct would be to make it 180 and hope to take it down, but what if he moves all in over the top?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd beat him into the pot. Could be beat, but for $220 more you're not folding in this $650 pot. Unless he's a maniac, his hand range is AA, AK, KK, TT, and maybe QJ. You're ahead enough of the time to call.

If stacks were $800 instead of $400, it could easily be a fold, depending on the player.

[ QUOTE ]
What would your action be in this hand when action gets to you on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against most opponents, raise to $180 or so and hope he has AA/AK.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

K102 rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't that a christian radio station?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:17 PM

try the ssNL section, you'll get more responces prolly
Old 09-11-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
try the ssNL section, you'll get mostly lousy responces prolly

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-11-2005, 10:12 PM

if you want to play professionally, or even make a run at it @ 1/2, this is an easy call for the rest of your chips. Hand ranges, pot equity, and odds laid should be your only concern, cards fall as they may.

Also, fold preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
My instinct would be to make it 180 and hope to take it down,

[/ QUOTE ]

why? my first instinct is "wow I hit a 1 in ~50 longshot, how can I stack him?" Not that raising the flop to "x" is the right or wrong play, but the motivation behind it should be more along those lines.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:44 PM

and they will be worse than your responce?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:39 AM

i was at the taj about 2 weeks ago, sitting 1-2 nl (60min-300max) most of the people at the table would buy in for 100 with the occasional rarity where someone would buy in for 200-300, i bought in for 2(a bit light on the roll lately and i only had 6 with me for the day so i figure better have 3 buy ins than 2 incase ... well u get the picture
the whole table was full of college aged kids. And there was this one college kid who had a monster stack of about 2600(at its highest point). he had been playing for 27 hours straight when i got there and was still seated there about 8 hours later when i left.

thats quite a run considering most people bought in for 100

when i first sat down he was at 2200 but within an hour he went to go buy a room with a mere 4 of his what looked like an endless supply of green chips, he was back 30 min later after having showered and feeling refreshed. however after doubleing up a few people and takeing a few other people's entrie stacks he seemed to get bored he would make it 15 to go or even 20-30 to go and just push in regardless of the flop. he wasnt just donking away money, he was still playing well, just he almost got bored of playing extremely tight like he was before his shower break and within the first hour of his return, however just becasue he was playing loose he was certainly not playing badly he had worked his stack up to about 2600 at one point but then his play started catching up to him and he kept running into the jj vs qq and so on for lots of money.

he did make one huge mistake while i was at the table: someone made it 10 to go and he repopped it to 30. initial raiser calls, on the flop he just says all in which he did alot becoause of his stack and to his dismay did not realise how much money the caller actually had. (around 400 or so) he said he thought he had much less

so anyway, his basic play was that his raises were alot larger than proportional as well, he was a good player and used his stack well,but the biggest adavatage hehad was every time u were in a hand with him he put u to a decision for all your chips if he thought u didnt have it and in the later hours when some of the people who had been there for a while had larger stacks that could mean 600-800 and on top of that he could very well have a monster himself.

he ended up haveing about 1700 when i left the table but he was still going strong and said he will prob play till tomorow afternoon and he would like to get back to around 3k!!! also he said he only bought in the table for 100!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:22 AM

Well Done! You got me...... I thought if I read that whole Taj story there'd be a [censored] point at the end.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well Done! You got me...... I thought if I read that whole Taj story there'd be a [censored] point at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]