Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Cowboys Out Of Position, Scary Board

Bet the flop. Being hu with a player and checking the flop with cowboys is extremely weak tight. I know plenty of players make money being weak tight online, but I think in this particular situation you can't play it that way, particularly if its something you do freqently with a big pocket against an overcard.

A player that knows you at all could take pocket sixes and bet you out of the pot if the turn hadn't bailed you out. As the rest of the hand happened to play out, with king falling off on the turn, I think the action is fine.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am still completely confused why he checked the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does his flop check confuse you so much? I think your flop check was much worse than his flop check (regardless of how it turned out) After you fail to cb, why would he fire at the pot when he's likely got you drawing to 2 outs and could extract more from you later? If you don't spike your king, he makes more off you by checking the flop than betting it.

FWIW I think his turn raise is a bit suspect, but I guess it does force you to give up your equity if you have TT-QQ with a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. However, if you were slowplaying AA on the flop he's spewing, and if you have KK being weak, you just caught up.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah just to add to this, I really don't see how position is relevant in checking the flop here. If he's at all tricky you learnt nothing about what he has, but he likely learnt a lot about what you have.

If you thnk he can somehow sniff out that the ace hurt you (which I don't see how if you keep your bet sizes consistant) then having position on him isn't going to help you either because he might just check to you and either go for the checkraise or smoothcall.

Betting the flop gives three possibilities: he'll either fold and give you credit for ak or aces (unlikely with what he had) be somewhat concerned about his kicker and smoothcall, or raise you.

A raise or fold most likely gives you the info you need, and a smoothcall if he's not a calling station likely helps too...(in this board I woulld either give him credit for the ace or at least a flush draw) and if a non king flush card came, I'd probably be done with it.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM

Villain doesn't know if I'm the type of person to check my set of Aces though, to try and CR or as a slow-play. A lot of people at this level will slowplay a set of Aces to extract "maximum value."

My experience is that villain doesn't consider that their TPTK or even TPGK is up against a set of Aces there and bets accordingly.

The fact is at this level when my reraise gets called and an Ace flops, villain either has the Ace (and I find out about it very quickly) or villain has something like Queens and is just as nervous about the Ace as I am.

Needless to say, it's quite profitable when you have AA against Ax and an Ace flops since villain will often throw his money at you no matter how much your PF action screamed that you had rockets. The bad thing is that he will not fold it no matter how you bet when your Kings just got busted.