Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 AM

Default B&M Bankroll Question

I'm relatively new to the B&M, having played at Commerce for the first time last weekend. Now I'm kinda hooked. I've got about 2K in my online bankroll, my typical game is $1/2 though I'm dablling in $2/4 and mostly $1/2 6max now. The typical Bankroll is usually 300BB, but it seems like guys are playing at much higher limits in B&M's. Does this rule of thumb still apply? For me, the occasional Commerce trip will be mostly for fun, and to make a few bucks. Since I'm not playing full time B&M, and the quality of players is substantially lower, is it "safe" to play under bankrolled? What's the typical B&M players bankroll? I'm basically setting aside a few hundred for my B&M bankroll - with the possibility of occasionally pulling some from my online roll.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: B&M Bankroll Question

Online V live bankroll has not bearing on eachother. You should use 300 bb for either game (full game), and 500 or more for shorthanded games. That being said, usually a bandm game, is going to be very easy, and passive, so taking a shot with a small portion, at a higher limit, isnt going to kill you too much, ie if you have 2000, take 200 and take a shot at buying in at 5/10. If you lose that drop down to 3/6 and play that, becuase thats what your bankroll is good for. Im always MUCH MUCH more willing ot take a shot at a BandM, than online.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:25 AM

I don't feel or claim to be an expert on this, and limit is not my main game, but it's been my experience that the looser the game the lower the long term variance....what I mean is on a loose say 5/10 limit game you might get stuck 30 BB's real quick, but you're also much more likely to get even that same night, while in a tight game when the cards run against you (which they invariably will) you can post session after session of losses.

You obviously need some minimum kind of br, and I know what I'm saying runs against the grain, but a tight game (as you tend to find online) simply isn't as profitable as a loose game, and if you're hoping to derive either a larger br or some kind of part time income from poker give me the looser game any day.

So that said, being that most B&M's are fairly loose, you may need less of a br live as opposed to online. As long as you have no designs on playing for a living though I wouldn't stress it too much. I would suggest playing at whatever level you feel comfortable at. As well all know, 2/4 in a B&M isn't particularly profitable, so if you feel ok with the kind of losses you can expect at 3/6 or higher, take a shot.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't feel or claim to be an expert on this, and limit is not my main game, but it's been my experience that the looser the game the lower the long term variance....what I mean is on a loose say 5/10 limit game you might get stuck 30 BB's real quick, but you're also much more likely to get even that same night, while in a tight game when the cards run against you (which they invariably will) you can post session after session of losses.

You obviously need some minimum kind of br, and I know what I'm saying runs against the grain, but a tight game (as you tend to find online) simply isn't as profitable as a loose game, and if you're hoping to derive either a larger br or some kind of part time income from poker give me the looser game any day.

So that said, being that most B&M's are fairly loose, you may need less of a br live as opposed to online. As long as you have no designs on playing for a living though I wouldn't stress it too much. I would suggest playing at whatever level you feel comfortable at. As well all know, 2/4 in a B&M isn't particularly profitable, so if you feel ok with the kind of losses you can expect at 3/6 or higher, take a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are somewhat right, its the fact that in a loose game your WR increases so much, not really your variance decreasing (in fact it may be higher). So if your winrate goes up a whole lot, you may not need as much of a BR, but Id never go to a limit with less than 200BB or so.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:04 AM

Yeah, this is all pretty much what I expected. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:52 AM

Default b/m games are slower and softer

at the respective limits. If you can beat a 1/2 game online you should be good enough to beat 3/6 in any b/m room. I play alot of live 15/30 and most of the players in that game tend to stick to 3/6 when playing online.

Theoretically at the same limits, if the games were played at the same skill level, your b/r requirements would be the same for both, but I think the slower pace of b/m allows you enter the game with a lower b/r. You will play fewer hands in a session and if you're outclassed you will realize it sooner than online.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:53 AM

The 300BB rule was around way before online poker was invented. It is meant as a never go broke bankroll for a WINING player. If you are playing for fun then no bankroll is really required just take what you are willing to lose and have a good time at what ever limit you choose.