Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 11:31 PM

Default AT flops a TEN in a big pot. Unsure how to protect it.

My only read on the button is that he seemed pretty aggressive on the 10 hands that I've watched. UTG seemed to play like a little weak passive raising preflop then folding to a check raise, turn donk, etc.

My flop and river play are questionable. Comments?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

River: (10.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
Old 09-10-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: AT flops a TEN in a big pot. Unsure how to protect it.

Something interesting to try: Maybe cap the flop, in the hopes of folding UTG. I'm not sure if its a good play, but its a worth a thought.

Button looks like he's on a set. I bet/call the river, as check-raising opens myself to a 3-bet.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:44 PM

I think I'd have donked the river... (bet/call)
Old 09-10-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd have donked the river... (bet/call)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not technically a donk, as an ace is a card we could have improved on [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 12:12 AM

I like every street.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:06 AM

In terms of protecting your hand, I probably would have played the flop the same, hoping UTG's raise would force out the button, I check raise the turn forcing out UTG with his overs. If he had an overpair he would have 3 bet here.

If I am 3 bet by the button I check call this river
Old 09-11-2005, 01:15 AM

Wow, really? You think we're ahead of the button often here even though he three-bet the flop? And you advocate calling down against a turn-3bet UI against him? Seems a bit aggressive to me... Anyone else?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 AM

I'd only call the river bet if the A fell or a 10, any other
card and I'd fold the river

I'm not that aggresive, my stats are like 2.5/2,3 and 1.97 and I would 3 bet this hand on the flop if I were the button with TP here.

He has position and a raise from UTG could very well mean overs.

Almost any time I see someone bet directly into a pf raiser it's becuase they hit TP or 2nd pair and want the PF raiser to thin the field with a raise.

So seeing the pf raiser being bet directly into and the possibilty of the Pf raiser raisng with overs I'm 3 betting here almost every time.

If I'm the button and it gets capped by the flop better, I'm folding the turn UI. If it gets capped by the pf raiser i'm calling 1 bet on the turn and folding the river UI.

The reason I'm folding the turn if it's vapped against the flop better is because if they cap this they usually have 2 pair or a set and I'm probably drawing dead or don't have enough outs to call, Against the pf raiser, I have enough to call so I can hit 2 pair

Old 09-11-2005, 01:48 AM

Button has KT here often, limitplayer.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:15 AM

I don't see how we aren't ahead of the button 85% of the time. He cold called preflop and came to life on a dry baord. He rarely has a PP higher than TT, and he's not shutting people out with a set very often.

Most of the time he will have something like 77-99, or a worse T. I definitly cap the flop to shut out UTG hopefully.