Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Fun Game / What Game Is This?

OK, here's a game that we used to play in my high school.

we called it Chinese Poker, but it is obviously not.

Can be played 2, 3, or 4 handed

Game is played with poker hands, 1 card hands, pairs, three of a kinds, or five card hands; with 3 low and 2 being high. Suites are ranked from low to high: [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

So, the 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is the lowest 1 card hand, and 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is the highest.

Highest 5 card hand is a spade royal J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

and so forth

3/4 handed, entire deck is delt out (extra card goes to player holding low card, heads up 17 cards are delt.

Low card (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in a full game) starts, by putting any hand down containing the 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

ie player may put down 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] etc ect

The next player must then lay down a hand of the same number of cards to beat the previous hand, or pass.

Once an hand is passed around to the player who put down the last hand, he starts a new round of any type of hand he wants. Once someone puts down the nuts, (ie 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in a single card round), he immediatly starts another round

Game ends when first player uses all of his cards. The remaining players then pay the winner $x for every card left in thier hand.

Has anyone ever played this, or did my friends make it up?
It is shitloads of fun, and I ended my senior year of HS up like $500 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Fun Game / What Game Is This?

I've played that 3-handed in the dorms when we got sick of Hold'em and we were snowed in. Fun game, but seemed hard to win a significant amount of money at a time.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM

This game seems like a complicated version of "President" aka "[censored]". It's a fairly popular drinking game.

I'd suggest looking in Hoyle's rule book for the game. If it's not in that, there's a pretty good chance it's just a variation of President or whatever President is based on.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:18 AM

Found it. It's called Big Two. Here's a link to the rules.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Found it. It's called Big Two. Here's a link to the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it! Thanks!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:41 PM

This game rules. I've never played it for money because it has enough strategy to be interesting without that aspect.

I learned it in high school from some Filipino friends (and thus learned it by its Tagalog name, "Pasoy Dos"(sp)). Since then, we have acquired numerous absurd variations:

2-killers: any 3 consecutive pair can be played on a single 2. That is, if an opponent plays 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (normally the highest single card), you can beat that by playing 334455.

Revolution: if you play a 4 of a kind, you may optionally declare a Revolution, in which case the rank order is reversed -- 2s are now the lowest card; 3s the highest. (We usually preserve suit order to keep from going insane.)

Taxation: At the end, the 1st place finisher gets to trade any 2 cards he wants for the highest 2 cards in the 4th place finisher's hand. 2nd and 3rd place similarly trade 1 card.

Also, we use bridge order for the suits, because that's easier, and we're all americans.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:54 PM

i love this game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ive also heard the game reffered to as "Deuces"

edit: havent played any of the above variations.
Back in hs we played it for money on a per card basis rose as you held more cards.

ie. 25 cents per card you hold after someone wins...
but if you hold 7 cards you pay double (7 x .25 x 2), 8 cards triple(8 x .25 x 3), 9 cards quadruple...
it really sucked when someone got really lucky and you were caught with all 13 cards in your hand [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Big Two for Money

Also, TigerGaming.com is one site where they play this for
money. There may be other sites, but I haven't looked into
it. They only deal out 13 cards per player even when it's
heads up. There is also a rule that forces you to play your
highest single card hand if you act just before a player
that only has one card. You won't find any games higher
than $1 a point though.