Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Should I play 5/10 at the Taj?

[ QUOTE ]
I must be playing a different 5/10 then most of you guys, because in my opinion, the play at 1/2 Party is significantly better than the taj's 5/10 game, or the 6/12 at the Borgata, etc.... If you have the bankroll, and can deal with the swings (that part I agree with), then by all means play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Taj 5/10 and Borg 6/12 have "worse" players than Party 1/2. I have found a lot more tough tables (relatively speaking) at 1/2 than at 6/12.

IMO, those live limits are just high enough to keep MOST maniacs and drunk donks at bay and make players a bit less aggressive. And they are just low enough to keep most "good" players away (at 10/20 and higher).

Translation, they are usually very passive and vary from loose (more 6/12) to tightish (5/10). If you can beat 1/2 and have the bankroll, you will be more than comfy and cozy at 5/10 and 6/12.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 PM

If you play tight agressive at the Taj 5/10 or Borgata 6/12 there is no real way to lose more than a couple hundred unless you are on one of those nights where NOTHING hits...
otherwise the hands that you make the bad players pay are going to be able to more than offset your missed hands...

Do it - just think about if you like action (go to taj) or a nice sanitary enviornment (play borgata) before you decide

have fun
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

You must remember that live play is a totally different mindset than internet play. On the net, you can change games instantly. Live, you really need to pay attention to your game, scout other games inbetween hands, etc. Live play IS fishier than internet ON AVERAGE FOR ANY GIVEN LIMIT, but you still MUST be selective. Because I live in vegas, I can afford to be picky with my live game selection, AND I can afford to NOT play on the internet. For someone taking a trip to a live poker center (who is not usually near one), they need emphasis on things like how important it is to continually scout games. Keep in mind that online you quickly scout the games using a few silly statistics. In live action rooms you can really SCOUT the games, watch the action, see what gets shown down, how big the pots are, look for the SUPER-FISH, etc etc.

There is MUCH more information available to the live game player, but they can't expect to just click on a stat and have the best tables delivered to them.

al
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM

I play 5-10 when it's crowded and waiting on the list for another game. The last time I played the line-up consisted of the following -

A passive, clueless old Jewish couple who could've been in their 70's. It made me laugh just thinking about it. An awful older calling station Asian woman and a younger agro Asian guy who cuts his hair like a girl (I think it's a "pageboy") and he'll raise K5s UTG. I've played with the Asians before. I guess they're either going broke or finally came to their senses and stopped playing at the high end.

If you play pretty good, you'll quickly see it's not what you expected. Neither is the 10-20 for that matter.