Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Default ($22): Attempting to own the bubble, worth it at 22s?

Do you guys make this play? Or, are the other players not knowledgeable enough to be making these moves?

SB and BB do not seem to be total donks. I have not been pushing many hands, Button just got that short.

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 8 - 4 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
Button: 540 Chips
SB: 1880 Chips
BB: 1420 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 4160 Chips</font>

Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Blinds are 200/400

PreFlop
Hero is All-In
Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: ($22): Attempting to own the bubble, worth it at 22s?

Every...single...time.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:35 PM

all day baby. all day.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:40 PM

I was about to say why not three times the big blind, then saw the blinds and if someone called you would have to put them all in anyway so it doesnt matter.

I have been using the "bullying the bubble" stratergy and it seems to work - probably wouldnt do it from UTG though - with one limper I might try and carry on stealing the blinds adding 600 to my stack every time im in position.

Obviously here though its all or nothing for the others, not much chance to "play" post flop - that would make me more inclined only to steal from late position - or with this few in, not at all. Defend your BB and pick up the BB when your SB and let the others take care of themselves. Youve done the hard work.

All IMHO off course.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:48 PM

Yes.

Flop trips and/or flush if AA calls you and you are fine anyway.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was about to say why not three times the big blind, then saw the blinds and if someone called you would have to put them all in anyway so it doesnt matter.

I have been using the "bullying the bubble" stratergy and it seems to work - probably wouldnt do it from UTG though - with one limper I might try and carry on stealing the blinds adding 600 to my stack every time im in position.

Obviously here though its all or nothing for the others, not much chance to "play" post flop - that would make me more inclined only to steal from late position - or with this few in, not at all. Defend your BB and pick up the BB when your SB and let the others take care of themselves. Youve done the hard work.

All IMHO off course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, based on your strategy I would not really be bullying the bubble. If I only defended my bb (which would mean calling all-ins) and stole for the sb (short stack) I wouldn't be getting many opportunities against good players and calling lots of all-ins really isn't my style.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Defend your BB and pick up the BB when your SB and let the others take care of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a significant leak imo. This is THE time to set yourself up for first. He has a good opportunity here to have 6k chips HU, which is a huge advantage. If lets them fight amongst themselves he'll find himself 4k vs 4k, which is pretty poor.

He has alot of FE here, even at the 22s. In my last set I totally dominated a bubble thanks to shortie. When the bubble burst I had 7k chips, compared to the 3k I had going in. I didn't race once, it was all done by making use of the huge FE I had.

UTG is great to do it from. The other 2 get to see shorty fold, and you are stealing blinds from both the other stacks. You can bleed their equity dry.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

I wasnt suggesting calling lots of all ins.

I didnt realise you were talking about good players. Where I play the players are dreadful and will call with weak Kings e.t.c - so if you have a hand such as K2 they wouldnt lay down K4+ therefore you are far more likely to get a caller.

I suppose it isnt bullying the bubble - its defending my stack against the nutters and stealing the occasional blind in the right spot.

With over 5000 chips it doesnt really matter whether you enter heads up with 5000 vs 3000 or 6000 vs 2000 - obviously the second is MUCH more preferable, but I wouldnt risk going below half the chips to get to that position.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:54 PM

If you are at all hesitant about this exact situation you need to step back and rethink your bubble strategy.

Button won't call because two potential knockouts in blinds. Blinds won't call because button is so short. This is fundamental. I don't care how stupid they are, they know the next one out gets nothing.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:54 PM

I'd be pushing just about any 2 here.